Netflix film is part of the sexualization problem

Catcalls. Push-up bras. Twerking. Hot pants. 

In the modern era, many girls receive the message from a young age that their identity is based in their sexuality. With the spread of social media and shows such as “Riverdale,” which sexualize minors, it seems that the issue has only been exacerbated in recent years. 

The sexualization of girls ― especially young girls ― has come to the forefront of many minds as a result of the upcoming release of the French film Cuties on Netflix on Sept 9. The movie is counterproductive because in trying to depict a problem it becomes part of the problem. 

Netflix’s summary for “Cuties” (originally released as “Mignonnes” in France) reads, “Eleven-year-old Amy starts to rebel against her conservative family’s traditions when she becomes fascinated with a free-spirited dance crew.” When one watches the trailer however, the plot becomes much more transparent ― and much more problematic. 

The trailer shows a young girl, Amy, breaking away from what is depicted to be an oppressive, religious household in order to be her own person and learn to be a woman. The way she does this, however, is by joining a young group of girls in dressing and dancing provocatively. In fact, the words “You’re a woman now” are heard from Amy’s mother, although Amy seems to believe that becoming a woman means she must flaunt her sexuality for all to see. 

The creator of “Cuties,” Maïmouna Doucouré, said in an interview at the Sundance Film Festival, where the film won a directing award, that she created the movie to draw attention to the sexualization of young girls, particularly in social media. 

“When I was in a neighborhood gathering … a group of little dancers came on the stage and were dancing very well, but at the same time very sensual and very sexual,” said Doucouré. “At that time I was so shocked because they were only 11 years old, for me it was just ‘Oh my God, what am I seeing?’” 

While Doucouré’s intentions may have been benevolent in creating the movie, the film only adds to the problem. By depicting what she wants society to avoid in such an extreme fashion, she has produced the very message she wishes to avoid. 

Filmmakers who intend to offer social commentary must be careful of the possible misinterpretations and misuses of their creations. Pedophiles searching for pictures of young girls may find this film supportive of their actions rather than critical. According to Parents Television Council President Tom Winters, in an interview with the Daily Caller News Foundation, the “only motivation” for creating a movie such as “Cuties” is “to sexualize children and to fuel the appetites of those who would feed on the sexualization of children.” 

Since the full film has not yet been released in the United States, it is difficult to tell whether the critique Doucouré offers is strong enough to counteract the message that the trailer alone seems to be sending. We as a society need to send more positive messages toward young girls so they can understand that their worth goes far beyond their sensuality.