JCHC provides volunteer opportunity for students

Asbury students have the opportunity to volunteer with the Johnson County Homeless Coalition now until Sept. 25. Students have been asked by the JCHC to volunteer and work with the residents of the JCHC at Keeneland Concessions in Lexington. Openings to volunteer began Sept. 10 and will end on Sept. 25. 

“We are staffing a hydration station giving out free water bottles,” JCHC founder and executive director Johnny Templin said. 

The remaining shifts are Sept. 19-25 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., but the JCHC is willing to work with volunteers to fit their schedules.

“It is outside work and the days are long… most 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m,” Templin said, “but we can also split these with notice.”

The volunteer work will help support the JCHC to reach its goal of raising $15,000, which will raise enough money for 3 months of operating expenses. 

“It’s a very unique way to help JCHC earn a larger donation from Keeneland,” Templin said. “We have the potential to earn about 3 months of operation expenses.”

This is also an opportunity for students to serve with other members of the community.

“This is a great opportunity to serve alongside members of our community who are experiencing homelessness and to help raise $15,000 to use for services targeting those experiencing homelessness in our community,” Asbury Outreach Coalition member Michelle Kratzer said.

Volunteers will be able to see the horses at Keeneland.

“Additionally, you get to see all these beautiful horses up close,” Templin said. “These are 1 year-olds and it’s extremely likely a future derby winner is out here.”

To be able to volunteer, students will have to be tested for COVID-19 within 10 days of his or her volunteer date.

“Anyone interested in helping the Jessamine County Homeless Coalition in this way can email Faith Day at outreachcoalition@asbury.edu,” Kratzer said. “Faith is the student coordinator for the Asbury Outreach Coalition and will provide participation details.  She will provide volunteers with 1) the number to call to sign up for a shift and 2) information on how to get the required COVID testing.”

If a student is interested, he or she needs to contact Faith Day as soon as possible. 

“Students who want to participate should sign-up as quickly as possible so the Coalition knows how to plan,” Kratzer said.   The Asbury Outreach Coalition reminds students that those who participate need to follow Asbury’s #MaskMode and physical distance requirements at all times.