Asbury Anon: AU crushes

Student-run, anonymous Asbury accounts have been around for a while, starting with Twitter in earlier days. You’ve probably noticed the newest on the scene is on Instagram as AU Crushes, or @asburycrushes. We sat down for a chat — anonymously, of course — with the administrator of account to get some inside information. Grab some coffee, a snack, and sit down. We asked only the most important questions.

“In the past few months there have been a few different Asbury-themed accounts that have popped up on Instagram,” said the administrator. “A couple haven’t gained much traction while others just seem like sort of negative places. After seeing all of them, we kinda thought, why hasn’t anyone started a crushes account yet? That’d be so fun for everyone. A few weeks later, when there still wasn’t one, we decided to take matters into our own hands. We were also a little bored at the time.” 

Though AU Crushes has only been active since Sept. 6, the account has already accumulated 378 followers. Students can DM the account to help them “shoot their shot”; the administrator will post a purple-themed photo with the requested message.

“We weren’t really sure what we’d get in terms of reception, but it’s been kind of amazing,” said the administrator. “Within 24 hours of starting the account we had over 350 followers, and so far it seems like everyone submitting and reacting is having a ton of fun with it and not taking it too seriously.” 

The account is very clear regarding its intentions; though it remains anonymous, it is unlike other Asbury accounts in that its intention strays from criticism or bias toward the university or any of its students. 

“For now, we’re just trying to be a fun page for Asbury people to interact with, laugh at, and, of course, submit their crushes to,” the administrator said. “If any actual couples come as a result of us running this page, that would be awesome! We have a bunch of ideas for the future of the account and we’re excited to see how people respond. Things on campus are kind of tense and stressful currently, so it’s nice to give people a break from that.” 

As for the administrator’s identity — that still remains a mystery, even to me. If you were paying attention, though, the administrator goes by the personal reference “we.”

“Yes, it’s two of us,” said the administrator, “This would be a lot for one person to do.

If you’re hoping to find out the identity of the mysterious duo that runs AU Crushes, be my guest, but I’ll give you a little tip: pay attention to the next couple graduation ceremonies. We have decided that if we ever reveal ourselves, it will be at our graduation.”