The summer of social distancing: how to make the most of the season

Summer is always the best time of the year. Students everywhere get to take a breath for a few months and relax. The weather is nice, which allows for outdoor activities like swimming, fishing, hiking and camping. The combination of warm weather and time off provides space for traveling and attending events like festivals and fairs. Life always feels happier and easier between May and August.

This year, things are going to be different. As a result of the coronavirus outbreak, people are following orders to stay at home. Summer trips have been cancelled and concert tickets refunded. Local festivals will not be taking place, and the gates to the public pool will stay closed. Even casual hangouts with friends are largely off-limits. And since students have already been spending all of their time at home, the transition to a new season does not feel as noticeable. 

With our lives turned upside down, it feels as if our summers are ruined. It is difficult to relax during this time while the world around us feels so unsteady. We’re left to wonder what there is to do with the empty summer months now that most of the country is still social distancing.

Initial plans have been cancelled, so it’s time to get creative. Summer might not look like what we’re used to, but it can still be just as enjoyable.

One important thing to remember is that even if the order is to stay at home, it does not specifically say that we have to be physically inside of our houses. This factor alone increases the possibilities of what to do in the summer.

Even while staying at home, you can go outside to exercise or play. There are a multitude of yard games you could play with your family, or you can do other things in your yard at home, like gardening. Also, simply sitting outside and enjoying the warm summer weather is better than always staying indoors.

Another thing to remember is that many parks and trails are still open. As long as you maintain a distance of six feet from people who do not live in your household, you can still enjoy some classic summer activities. You can walk (with your dog, if you have one), run, bike or find a trail to hike. Having a picnic with your family is another good way to change the scenery while maintaining distancing guidelines. 

Simply going for a drive is another option that remains on the table. It definitely won’t match visiting people or going to annual summer events, but it is a way to get out of the house. You could do a sort of road trip and still go sightseeing, but keep health guidelines in mind. Arguably one of the most therapeutic things to do is to drive in the summer with music turned all the way up and windows down. 

This is just a place to start, but with some creativity, the possibilities are endless. Remember to follow guidelines that are in place and stay safe, but also know that this summer can still be as enjoyable as any other. It’s definitely going to be one of the most memorable summers ever.