How Kentucky’s reopening plans will affect you

For seven weeks, businesses have been empty. Gyms, theaters and stadiums have been vacant. Restaurants have been providing carry-out and delivery only. Schools have kept their doors closed. Since life moved online, people worldwide have been dreaming of the day when they can casually return to public spaces to be with their friends. 

Decisions have been made on a state-by-state basis, but the majority of coronavirus rules and regulations have been the same throughout the entire country. As we enter our eighth week of this life altered by a pandemic, some states have made the decision to slowly return to normalcy.

According to the New York Times, stay-at-home orders have simply expired in some states, while other states are making the conscious decision to reopen and have created a plan as to how this will be done. Depending on where you live, reopening will look different and occur at a different pace. 

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear’s plan looks similar to guidelines set by other governors. In general, Beshear has been one of the leaders in coronavirus-related decisions. 

First of all, Beshear has set benchmarks that will determine when Kentucky can start reopening. These benchmarks include (but are not limited to) 14 days of decreasing cases, increased testing capacity, availability of personal protective equipment and the ability to protect at-risk populations. These benchmarks make up Phase 1 of Kentucky’s “Healthy at Work” reopening plan.

Once all of the benchmarks in Phase 1 are met, Kentuckians will move into Phase 2, which moves towards reopening the economy by allowing certain businesses to open under increased health and safety measures.

In Phase 2, life will begin to look more like it did before. Safety precautions, like social distancing, will remain, but businesses will reopen, which will allow Kentuckians to return to work, along with allowing them to interact with businesses that have been closed during this time. 

Businesses have to submit proposals to reopen, and it is unlikely that all businesses will be allowed to reopen immediately, so you’re still going to have to wait patiently for that haircut and manicure, or to sit at your favorite booth at the restaurant down the street. At this point there’s no telling when life will look like it did just a few months ago, but each day we move closer to the goal.