How to plan a fun spring break without breaking the bank

The spring semester is extremely unique. Starting off the first few months of classes with blustery winter weather that forces you inside can make focusing on schoolwork and friendships hard. It’s easy to become stressed as cabin fever kicks in, especially with midterms coming up. Thankfully, we are granted a weeklong vacation to ease that mid-semester slump: spring break.

Spring break in college can be such a fun time. You are surrounded by friends to make plans with, all with the mutual goal to relax and have fun away from campus. However, certain questions arise as you form your plans. How much is that going to cost? How can we plan this on a college budget? Well, when there’s a will, there’s a way. Here are some tips on how you can have the best spring break without breaking the bank.

1. Find unique experiences.

The first thing that many people think of when they hear “spring break” is the beach. But if you and your friends aren’t sand lovers, there are many unique locations where you can get the most out of your trip for less. Research national parks close to your destination. Most parks are free and offer several different activities for groups such as hiking or camping. 

Washington D.C. is also a great option for those who don’t like the outdoors as much. It offers rich history and over 15 free museums, such as the National Air and Space Museum or the National Gallery of Art. 

Think outside the box when it comes to location. Don’t want to plan your own week of travel? Look into various Asbury Adventure Leadership trips that occur during spring break for an affordable week of fun in the great outdoors.

1. Take advantage of discount airlines.

If you have a destination in mind, but it’s too far to drive, take advantage of discount airlines. Allegiant Airlines is one that is highly recommended and extremely affordable. On Allegiantair.com, there are currently flights for as low as $48 to Florida. They offer limited destinations when flying out of LEX, but if you are willing to make the short drive to Cincinnati, then there are more options.

1. Plan meals carefully.

Wherever you end up on spring break, meal planning is a must. When you fail to make a budget for your food expenses, then you end up spending more than you ever intended. Be flexible here but also set your expectations for your week. How many times are you planning on eating out? What meals will you cook at your house or Airbnb? Food is usually the biggest cost on spring break, so take the time to sit down with your friends and make a plan that will help everyone’s wallet.

1. Split the costs.

As always, splitting the costs of things always helps the budget. Whether it’s the cost of food or different activities, going halfsies is definitely appropriate on spring break. Two major things that are important to consider are sharing the costs of housing (ex. Airbnbs) and gas money if making the drive to your location. The more people to chip in, the better. Be up front with these expectations at the beginning of the trip so that your friends aren’t caught off guard when you send them that Venmo request for gas money.