Asbury preparing for safest fall semester scenarios

COVID-19 cases are declining by the day in the United States, but even so, some colleges are
looking to possibly extend their online semesters to the fall. One of these institutions is Harvard
University, which is not ruling out the possibility of a full online semester, according to Forbes.
So, the question must be asked: will Asbury open back up for in-person classes or remain
online?
“We have a task force that is currently considering the communication, preparation and planning
for two dominant scenarios,” said Asbury President Dr. Kevin Brown. “The first would be where
we come back to campus with safety and security modifications. The second scenario would
look at how we could move a semester online if we had to.”
Though there are plans in place for the possibility of a full online semester, Brown remains
hopeful that the fall semester will resume as planned.
“I may be overly optimistic, but again, it is my intention and my confidence that we will be on
campus this fall semester with safety and security plans in place for the protection and well-
being of our students and Asbury community,” said Brown.
However, even with the high possibility of returning to campus in the fall semester, there will
still be changes to Asbury’s way of life.
“We know that we will have to integrate social distancing across several venues,” said Brown.
“We will plan to have PPE, individual thermometers and other protective mechanisms for each
student.”
Brown emphasized that not only would Asbury need to be supplied with equipment, plans
would have to be made for worst-case scenarios.
“We want our environment to be as cautious, safe and secure as possible,” said Dr. Brown,
“Moreover, we want to have a broad range of contingency plans in place. So, for example, we
are looking to answer the following questions: What happens if a student gets the virus? What
testing mechanisms are in place? How do we stagger large gatherings, like chapel, dining and
classes?”
He added that there may be “hybrid in-seat/online options for residential students.”
Whether or not specific regulations or precautions will be needed, Asbury hopes to open back up
and proceed with a more conventional semester in the fall.
“Information on the global pandemic changes daily,” said Brown. “We are keeping a close eye
on state and federal directives, as well as direction from authorities from the CDC and the
medical community. We want every student to enjoy the fullness of the Asbury experience —

and we will need to do that in an environment that elevates communication, preparation and
planning.”