World leaders test positive for COVID-19

With COVID-19 raging across the globe, several world leaders have either tested
positive for the virus or been quarantined following exposure. As of April 15, all world
leaders that have tested positive for COVID-19 have recovered or are still in self-
isolation; none of these cases have resulted in death.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson contracted COVID-19 on April 6 and was promptly
admitted to intensive care at St. Thomas’ Hospital in London, according to NPR.
The 55-year-old was released from St. Thomas on April 12. In a tweet, Johnson
thanked the United Kingdom’s National Health Service for his recovery.
“It is hard to find the words to express my debt to the NHS for saving my life,” he wrote.
“The effort of millions of people across this country to stay home are worth it. Together
we will overcome this challenge, as we have overcome so many challenges in the past.”
Prime Minister Johnson is continuing his recovery in self-isolation at his country estate,
according to NPR.
U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) described his experience following his COVID-19
diagnosis on “FOX & Friends” on April 13.
“I had an extraordinarily mild case,” said Senator Paul. “I had no symptoms. Never had
a headache. Never had a body ache. Never had a fever. Never had a cough. I didn’t
really have any symptoms. In fact … I would not have even gone to the doctor’s office
had I not known this was about and that I had been traveling so much.”
Paul tested negative after a self-isolation period and is currently volunteering at a local
hospital during the crisis, according to The New York Post.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is quarantining after an aide tested positive
for COVID-19 on March 30, according to CNBC. He has since tested negative for the
virus but will continue to quarantine.
“He will remain quarantined until further instructions are issued by the Ministry of
Health,” a spokesperson tweeted.
The United Kingdom experienced another health crisis as the next in line for the crown,
Prince Charles, tested positive for COVID-19 and displayed mild symptoms. As of
March 30, the 71-year-old royal is recovered and out of self-isolation, according to the
BBC.

Begoña Gomez, wife of Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, also tested positive for
COVID-19 on March 14 and is self-isolating in Madrid, according to the Associated
Press.
Australian Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton tested positive for coronavirus on March
13 and was promptly hospitalized, according to Business Insider.
“I’ve been discharged from hospital and am at home self-isolating with my dog Ralph.
Thank you for all the kind messages, I’m feeling much better,” said Dutton in a tweet,
posted alongside a photo of him and Ralph.