graphic by Bailey Lane

Students eat, sleep, Zoom to stay sane while social distancing

With the recent outbreak of COVID-19 and the order to stay at home, students are now finding themselves isolated with a significantly higher amount of free time than they’re used to. For most, it seems that the challenge is not only to stay at home, but how to fill the empty hours.

This time may feel endless, but so are the possibilities. 

This change is allowing people to slow down and relax. One popular thing to do in quarantine is to catch up on sleep. While it is an area in which most of us are lacking, sleeping is easy to do and good for you (in moderation). 

“I didn’t know I could sleep this much,” said senior Mikayla Kneen.

Reading is another very popular suggestion — it’s a way to get away without ever leaving your home.

“I literally have read a book a day just for fun while sitting on the porch waving to everyone because I’m such an extrovert,” said junior Elle Crossman.

Similar to reading books, video games also provide an escape. Video games introduce you to different characters and take you to different worlds from the comfort of your couch, and are a great way to pass the time.

“[I’ve played] a lot more video games than I’d like to admit,” said freshman Gavin Reed.

If virtual games aren’t your speed, board games offer the same relief at a different pace. Gather your family members for some competitive entertainment.

“[We’re playing] lots of Catan and Pandemic — the board game,” said junior Kirsten Riegel.

You can make card games extra interesting by making them long-lasting. 

“[We’re playing] a single game of Nertz that lasts the entire quarantine — 564 points and counting,” said junior Madi Morelock.

A lot of social distancers shared that they are using this time to watch movies and TV shows. Whether it’s binging something new, catching up on that show you missed episodes of or rewatching an old favorite, streaming services make it possible.

“Mostly I’ve been watching movies, binging Bojack Horseman and cleaning up around the house,” said junior Kellen Abner. “Today I went for a run and that was really nice.”

Though isolation keeps us at home, the orders don’t say anything about not going outside. Stepping outside for some exercise and fresh air is a great way to break up the monotonous hours. As long as you practice social distancing and stay six feet apart, going outside is a great way to relax and refresh.

“I am walking [my dog] outside, it’s honestly what’s keeping me sane,” said senior Robyn Cook. “We go out for like an hour even on rainy days.” 

Also, with the onset of spring, this is a great time to start outdoor activities like gardening.

“I’m planting lettuce, tomatoes later on, hopefully carrots and snap peas and maybe zucchini,” said sophomore Olivia Hopper.

Whether you’re outside or inside, starting something new and creating is a very productive way to pass the time. The extra time on your hands is the perfect opportunity to work on passion projects and to learn new things. 

“I’m starting a food eating YouTube channel. So basically I was at the point where I wanted to eat out so bad that I started watching people eat on YouTube, like food ASMR and muckbangs,” said junior Stephanie Echeverry. “I enjoy cooking for my family and we are gonna start eating and recording our conversations. I’m trying to find a good name and then it will be up and running.”

Another great skill to work on while you’re staying home is cooking. 

“[I’m] learning to cook. [I’m cooking] chicken fettuccine alfredo, bread and dipping oil, lasagna and turkey,” said sophomore Gracie Baczkzowski. “I miss the self-cook station so I’m showing my mom how to make the stir fry that I normally made [at school].”

Junior Sarah “SB” Stroh suggested that people collect the recipes they make to create their very own quarantine cookbook.

Making YouTube videos and food are popular choices, but if you’re looking for something artsy, crafting is another option.

“[I’m] knitting socks for myself and friends,”  said junior Madison Lewis. “This quarantine has just increased my ‘hippie old lady in the woods’ vibe.”

For musicians, this seclusion is perfect for focusing on their craft.

“[I’m] crafting and making music,” said freshman Mattie Anderson. “I’m embroidering things and also painting and drawing. Some songwriting, mainly worship, and some covers of worship and alternative pop/indie.”

Freshman Elle Hooper shared that she’s making her isolation educational.

“I’m learning how to cook, learning to crochet, learning American Sign Language and going bike riding,” said Hooper.

No matter how much you enjoy your space, life still isn’t the same without your friends. People are finding themselves separated from their loved ones, so many are turning to technology to connect.

“I’m using FaceTime and Zoom to stay in touch with my friends,” said junior Hannah Becht.

Although there are many ways to fill your time, it’s OK if you don’t feel like doing anything at all. Sometimes the best thing to do is just sit, rest and reflect. Freshman Caitlin Donner and sophomore Esther Kraus said that just sitting still is one way they’re spending their time.

“[I’m] cleaning, [doing] homework and laying on the floor staring at my ceiling in wonder,” said Donner, while Kraus said she is “sitting and staring at the wall, missing everyone that I used to run into daily.” 

No matter what you do though, establish a routine to give your life some structure.

Junior Justin Spoon said that his routine is “running, lots of video games and Zooming: that schedule on repeat, every day.”

Stay home, create a schedule, try something new and embrace the extra time you have now — you never know what you’ll learn to love.