Reopening the US will be a slow, complicated process

Every day, civilians ask new questions about when life might begin to find a “normal” rhythm. We are all wondering what the reopening of the economy and the return to work will look like. 

Health experts are expecting this return to happen in phases, not all at once. These phases will begin based on a number of different factors varying from location all the way to group size and health status of workers. 

Due to the extensive network of state and nationwide directives, there is no one individual who will be able to make this decision. It will be made based on a collection of data as well as a plan that will blueprint exactly what each phase of this process will look like, according to the Trump Administration. 

“We have to come up with a smart, consistent strategy to restart the systems we shut down and get people back to work,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

For many Americans, the resumption of work will be an option only if other essential services reopen their doors. Child care operations will look different upon reopening, due to continued social distancing guidelines. USA Today reported that the return to work may require temporary federal and state targeted financial assistance for child care providers.

For the foreseeable future, the reopening of subways and buses during rush hours will be out of the question. The idea of possibly staggering work hours has been brought up within the Trump administration and is continuously being mulled over and strategically thought through. 

Among the biggest concerns is the availability of COVID-19 tests. Employers cannot financially support the number of tests it would take to provide one for each individual employee. As a result, the government is working to ensure that tests are widely available at no cost to individuals.