Hair do’s and don’ts for your “quarantrim”

You’re bored while stuck at home, but leave your hair alone. Changing your look is an ambitious form of self-entertainment, but typically has disastrous consequences. However, some people are taking this chance in an attempt to keep themselves preoccupied.

“I dyed the bottom half of [my hair] deep purple or red (depending on the light),” said senior Mikayla Kneen.  “I’ve never done anything like this before. Quarantine boredom got the best of me.”

Kneen had never taken her hair care into her own hands so she had her two roommates assist her. She felt that now was a good time to experiment since she won’t be leaving her house anytime soon due to coronavirus protocol. 

“I figured I won’t have to look professional for a while,” said Kneen.

Like Kneen, senior Mary Beth Kane also changed her “do” but she went to work with scissors instead of dye. 

“Literally not even one week into quarantine I made a panic decision and chopped about six inches off of my hair,” said Kane. “It was my first time cutting my own hair aside from trying to give myself bangs in middle school.”

Kane learned the repercussions of cutting her own hair due to that incident, so this time she looked to the internet for help.

“I acted with the help of a Brad Mondo tutorial on how to cut your own hair in the middle of a crisis and I went to town,” said Kane.  “My dad helped me trim up the ends once I was done.”

Popular YouTube hair stylist Brad Mondo released a video titled “Hairdressers Guide To Cutting Your Own Hair And Not Ruining It” on March 26, 2020, in an effort to help people who are looking to give themselves a “quarantrim.” The twenty-minute video quickly rose to over two million views. 

In the video, Mondo goes through the process of cutting your own hair. He lists the supplies and products needed, then models how to do the cut on a mannequin. 

Although Mondo teaches viewers how to cut their own hair, he says that nothing can replace going to a stylist. However, if you reach your breaking point and need to cut your hair, following a stylist’s directions (like Mondo’s) is the way to go.