Escape without leaving home with this Netflix watchlist

It seems that Netflix’s “Tiger King” has become the collective obsession of a people indefinitely stuck inside. It appears streaming sites in general have become a sort of beacon of hope for those desperately seeking a way to pass the time. According to MarketWatch and Recurly Inc., paid subscriptions for streaming services went up 32% the week of March 16 — the same week Asbury announced its plans to move classes online and the same week that America started to take the virus much more seriously.

If you’re a social distancer looking to pass the time in front of the TV, here are some Netflix series and film recommendations to keep you occupied.

In the way of sitcoms, Netflix has a solid spread. “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation” have become standards, but shows with similar vibes like “Arrested Development” and “The Good Place,” as well as new additions like “Community,” should not be overlooked.

The site also features some fantastic original animated programming like “Big Mouth” and “BoJack Horseman,” the former featuring a cast stacked with everyone from John Mulaney and Nick Kroll to Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph. Of course, it should be noted that while these two shows are animated, they are both targeted at an adult audience and aren’t appropriate to turn on while babysitting a younger sibling.

Moving toward more dramatic shows, “Breaking Bad” and its (potentially better) spin-off “Better Call Saul” rank firmly at the top of the list if, by some chance, you haven’t seen them yet.

David Lynch’s groundbreaking small-town murder mystery “Twin Peaks” is also on Netflix and was instrumental in shaping the way television moved forward in the decades following its 1990 release.

If you’re a fan of “Black Mirror” style entertainment, definitely check out “The Twilight Zone,” Rod Serling’s classic supernatural anthology series from the 1950s and ‘60s.

Critically acclaimed political dramas like “The West Wing” and “The Crown” are also available right now, and if you’re in the mood for something much darker, David Fincher’s true-crime thriller “Mindhunter” is simply stunning.

Perhaps you’re not looking for a show to get into, though. If that’s the case, Netflix has you covered on the movie front.

Right off the bat, for an intellectually stimulating double bill of smart, selfish people talking really fast and really loud, try pairing “The Social Network” with “Steve Jobs.” Both biopics of modern tech moguls are written by the master himself, Aaron Sorkin.

Hankering for something that really packs a punch, whether that be violent, emotional or both? “Goodfellas,” “Magnolia,” “Good Time” and “The Shawshank Redemption” should each prove to be more than enough to satisfy.

“The Master” and “Taxi Driver” would also make another fantastic double feature. Both movies deal with social outcast veterans desperately trying to find solace in something. Both feature wonderful leading performances and are shot and scored incredibly well. And both films are directed by two of the finest filmmakers working today: Paul Thomas Anderson and Martin Scorsese.

As far as the action and adventure genre is concerned, Netflix is currently featuring the entire “Indiana Jones” series and the third “Back to the Future” movie.

Modern and classic westerns like “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” and “Hostiles” are available to watch, along with sci-fi thrillers like “Minority Report,” “Blade Runner” and “Inception.”

Hopefully these suggestions serve you well the next time you’re aimlessly surfing for something to watch, but of course there’s plenty more to check out that I haven’t mentioned here (sorry if you’re more of a Hulu or Amazon Prime-er). Remember to wash your hands and stay safe. Happy watching, and happy social distancing!

Gavin Reed
Gavin Reed is a freshman at Asbury University and is currently majoring in Media Communications with an emphasis in Film Production. He also enjoys drumming, writing and hanging with friends.