courtesy of Unsplash

Spring breaking: How to get the most out of traveling

Traveling is exciting. You get to see new places, meet new people and take a break from your typical routine. However, people tend to fixate on the destination because traveling, in and of itself, can be quite miserable. Getting to an incredible location is usually accompanied by long hours in cars or planes. 

However, the journey doesn’t have to be boring and painful. There are many ways to make your trip more entertaining.

One way to make road trips better is to play games. Juniors Katharine Doty, Ruffin Stanley and Regan O’Brien and sophomore Nich Stein all said that they play the alphabet game when traveling by car. Other games include the classics “I Spy” and “Cows on my Side.”

A productive way to spice up your trip is by reading. Reading will help the trip go by more quickly, and will also educate you on something you’re interested in or tell you an interesting story — and maybe even catch up on that homework you’ve been avoiding. The downside to reading while traveling is that you can’t do it while driving.

Listening to podcasts presents the same advantages as listening to books, but unlike reading, you can enjoy them while driving. Many Asbury students said that podcasts are their preferred form of travel entertainment. Sophomore David Lane recommends the “Let’s Read” podcast, which he described as just scary or creepy stories from Reddit.

If you’re looking for something more upbeat, music is the way to go. With all the different genres, the possibilities are endless. Simply listening to music can make your trip better, but many Asbury students shared that jamming along is the way to go. 

“I definitely listen to the entirety of the Hamilton soundtrack and see if I can remember every word,” said junior Rebekah Kerby.

Many people shared their road trip jams, which we’ve gathered into a playlist. 

Also, if you don’t want to listen to recorded music, you can make your own.

“During road trips my friends and I tend to have freestyle battles that last a couple hours,” said sophomore Noah Wright.  “If we get tired of the aux, which won’t happen if I’m on there, we freestyle.”

Probably the most obvious form of travel entertainment is simple conversation. Whether it be in person or over the phone, the time used to go from one place to another can be turned into intentional time for relationships.

“If I’m driving by myself I use it as a good time to catch up with people,” said 

Asbury alumna Andi Wilson. “I make lots and lots of phone calls.”

Also, if you’re feeling dramatic or creative, you can find other ways to keep yourself entertained.

“I stare out the window for hours pretending that I’m jumping on top of the trees,” said sophomore Ivey Chrisco. “Don’t say y’all don’t do this.”

“Or staring out of the window and pretending like you’re in a movie,” said freshman Rebecca Sams.

Whether it’s playing a game, listening to a podcast or music or using your imagination, try something new to make this Spring Break’s journey more exciting.

Playlist:

• “Fergalicious” by Fergie
  • “Africa” by Toto
  • “Hot Shower” by Chance the Rapper
  • “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers
  • “Tequila” by Dan and Shay
  • “Remember the Time” by Michael Jackson
  • “Purple Rain” by Prince
  • “Shotgun” by George Ezra
  • “Arizona” by Kings of Leon
  • “Bloodbuzz Ohio” by The National
  • “Life Is a Highway” by Rascal Flatts