Photo by Jake Stephens

Lacrosse: Starting the season off with a bang

The Asbury women’s lacrosse team dominated their first game of the season with a 17-0 win
against Thomas More College. In the first half of the game, the Asbury Eagles scored a total of
12 points, three of those points being made by senior and team captain Ashley Byrd.
The win gives the team a bit of momentum to run with, and Byrd is hopeful that it will give the
team a boost into the rest of the season and to the NAIA Conference tournament.
“We got off to a great start this season, and that’s important because it set the bar for future
games,” she said. “We are a small team, and we have to stay healthy and work together, but I
think our team has potential. Last year we had our best record in program history, and I think we
can win a few more games and extend our season by representing Asbury in the NAIA
conference tournament this year. As senior team captain, this is my vision and goal for the
year.”
Abigail Peklo, a junior on the team, is excited to see how the season will develop in spite of
changes.
“Our team has definitely changed and developed over the years, even just this academic year
alone,” Peklo said. “All of this change has been tough, but our team has been resilient and
strong throughout it all. It means so much that the athletic department has our back and
believes in the program.”
One of the biggest things Asbury faculty and students can do to support the Eagles lacrosse
team is to attend the games.
“Something that cannot be overlooked is the way our fans and having people in the stands carry
us to wins. We have a long stretch of home games these next couple weeks and having fans
there would be a game-changer,” said Peklo.
If you would like to show your support for the Eagles lacrosse team, come to their home game
on Feb. 28, where they will go head-to-head against Taylor University.