photo by Esther Flint

24/5 Prayer Week not shortened

The possibility of shortening 24/5 Prayer Week to one day was recently up for discussion.

Although this change was on the table, the final decision was made by the spiritual life board to continue on with a full week of prayer. Sophomore Janelle Hibshman, acting member of the prayer committee on campus, said, “This allows students to set aside a full week to focus on the Lord.”

Through talking with several students regarding the event, Hibshman encountered many who greatly value this event every year. 

“One student in particular discussed how the week changed her prayer life and relationship with the Lord just last fall,” she said.

In recent past years, although the event was publicized, it was widely overlooked by students. This led to many prayer sign-up slots remaining unfilled through the week. This problem was the first to be addressed in regard to its future and participation level. 

Currently, the members of the Spiritual Life Board (SLB) involved in the coordination of the event are working to make it more publicly announced and recognized on campus. Although these steps are being taken, they understand that it will take time to make this event a staple of the community here on campus. 

SLB, as well as members of the prayer committee, have realized that many of the students on campus may see posters for the event and overlook it because they don’t fully recognize or understand what happens during the week, since it isn’t made up of multiple activities. In an effort to bring more attention to the event, Hibshman said, “I have sought out professors such as Dr. Bounds and Professor Chris Segre-Lewis to write some pieces about prayer to help guide students.” 

The pieces that these professors wrote appeared in old Asbury during the event last year and were present again this year. 

As for the future of this event, there is still room for discussion and changes by SLB to make this event the best it can be.