photo by the Asburian

Men’s and women’s retreats changed to single, co-ed event

Men’s and women’s retreats have, in the past, been an opportunity for students of the same sex
to relax, make new friends and spend time in worship and reflection. It is one of the many
aspects of Asbury community life that uniquely stands out. This year, however, the two retreats
are being combined into an “All-Campus Retreat.” The intention of the retreat is the same, but
features some key differences for the student body.
“We’ve had great success with our men’s and women’s retreats,” said Director of Spiritual Life
Jeannie Banter. “This not a permanent change, it’s a one-time ‘let’s see how this works.’ We’ve
gotten feedback from students who want more opportunities to have co-ed fun and fellowship
and growing together.”
The retreat looks to student leaders to act as a bridge in creating comfortable spaces for
other students; Spiritual Life Advisors (SLAs) are required to attend and Resident Assistants
are strongly encouraged to participate. The Spiritual Life office compensates all SLAs for their
attendance, and scholarships are available through Student Development to anyone who
wishes to participate.
“Asbury wants to foster healthy relationships between men and women on campus, and they
believe this would be a good way to do that,” said Trustees Spiritual Life Coordinator and
junior Grant Alsbrooks. “I think this may encourage more people to sign up, because before
when they were gender-specific retreats, some students may have chosen not to go in an effort to
spend more time with their friends of the opposite gender.”
Others echo Alsbrooks’ statement regarding the combined retreat helping to foster healthier
relationships with the opposite sex.
“I think there will be more opportunity to form more relationships and further spiritual walks in
community with everyone, guys and girls alike,” said Glide-Crawford Assistant Resident
Director and senior Haleigh Davis. “It will be a cool way to bridge the gap of male/female
relationships and how they are normally perceived on-campus.”
“I think we’ve found the sweet spot of having a good time and good spiritual conversations both
with the whole student body and with just men or women,” said Glide-Crawford Spiritual Life
Coordinator Annie Sisk. “As with anything in life, the in-between is where you want to be.”
The retreat is being held at Bluegrass Christian Camp from Feb. 28-29.