photo by Aubrey Swartzentruber

Hop through the Asbury’s art galleries

Asbury’s Galley Hop, put on by the Art & Design department, started Thursday, Feb. 20, at 4 p.m. And although the reception was only two hours long, the artists involved worked for weeks to set up their showcases.

The three galleries in Z.T.’s Bistro and the Kinlaw Library lobby are full of art from various artists. The displays, filled with works from seniors Tessa Trimble, Leah Hampton and Bailey Lane, as well as the sophomore art majors, give the artists a chance to express their own unique voices and abilities.

Trimble’s show is in the Red Gallery during this event. With 14 unique hanging pieces throughout, her show entitled “Familial Code” has been a culmination of the last year of forming her aesthetic and voice as an artist.

“I have spent a lot of time thinking about how unique the relationship of family is and the way these connections impact us all,” Trimble said.

Her work with textiles has had a great impact on her personally throughout the process of creating each piece; she uses practices such as mending, quilting and embroidering to create unique and intriguing works. Trimble also uses a culmination of materials that have been passed down through her family in her art.

Creating each piece is a rigorous, multistep process, starting with screen printing on fabric, embroidering, trimming and then finishing with plastering the back to give the piece added texture.

“I have learned so much from this experience,” said Trimble. “This show has been such a privilege to create.”

Alongside Trimble are senior artists Hampton and Lane. Lane’s work will be on display in the Purple Gallery, which showcases ten large format comic strip pieces as well as an installation of notebook pages.

After her time studying abroad in Paris during the 2019 fall semester, there was some confusion revolving around Hampton’s exhibit. But Hampton confirmed that her show “Glimpses” is still a go in the Blue Gallery. It features a variety of digital artworks.

The sophomore showcase, which will be held in the Kinlaw Library Lobby, is a chance for underclassmen to put their work on display for the first time. Many of the students involved are beginning to find their voice and express it in a new light.

These artists have put numerous hours and months into preparing and promoting their uniquely made works and installations.