Getting into full swing: Asbury’s golf season begins

The Asbury men’s and women’s golf teams began their 2020 season by coming in 11th and
eighth place, respectively, at the Coastal Georgia Winter Invite.
The men’s team played in Brunswick, Georgia, and totaled 632. Although the team did not place
first, they are hopeful that the season will improve as time goes on.
“The team is really motivated, and we are really looking forward to the season,” said sophomore
player Jose Bustingorri. “This semester we have six players, which is not that many. So it is kind
of hard, because we all have to put a big amount of effort into the season. But we are practicing
really hard, and I think we can accomplish a lot of things this semester.”
The overall feeling for the men’s golf team season ahead is a positive one.
“I think we have a strong team this semester,” said sophomore Victor Vargas. “We are ready to
play the conference and to win it. We are practicing very hard, and, to be honest, I think the
current team is much better than teams from previous years.”
On St. Simmons Island, Georgia, the women’s team totaled 655 at the invite.
“I’m really excited about the upcoming season,” said junior Jennifer Fuqua. “We have a few
more tournaments than we normally have. We’re just hoping to build momentum to win
conference and go to nationals. I am super excited where we are headed as a team and to just
keep growing.”
The golf teams will be back on the course in Opelika, Alabama, on March 12 for the Lawrence
Tech Spring Break Invitational.