Photo by Will Harrison

10-Minute Play Festival a new outlet for student voices

Most plays are at least an hour and a half long, with plenty of scenes to space out the laughs and jaw-dropping twists. But imagine all of that comedy and drama, and condense it down . . . into the span of 10 minutes.

The 10-Minute Play Festival is a fairly new addition to the Asbury theater scene, being only in its second year. The idea began during a brainstorming session between Dr. Jim Shores, chair of the Dept. of Communication, Worship Arts and Theatre, and some of the students in his theatre history class. Students wanted more opportunities to see student stage productions on campus, and the theater department wanted a way to encourage and showcase student playwrights. Thus, the 10-Minute Play Festival was born.

Senior Katy Patterson, who directed one of this year’s plays and acted in another, believes that the 10-Minute Play Festival  brings a special opportunity for writers on campus.

“It brings out writers and allows them to see their work put into play,” said Patterson.

In this way, many writers get useful experience in writing for the stage and seeing how their own writing is translated into a short stage production.

Patterson also added, “It is really great for student directors, who are not wanting to provide a whole show, to get experience in directing a little bit.”

Doing a full show can be daunting, but the 10-Minute Play Festival provides a chance to use and practice directing skills in a much less demanding environment.

Senior Matthew Smitley, who wrote one of the plays titled “Just Desserts,” also directed and acted in this year’s show.

Smitley said, “[While] it has been difficult to juggle acting and directing, I’ve been getting more enjoyment out of helping [the actors] rather than my own performance.”

This production gives participants the opportunity to try out new things and find where their true passions are. However, according to Smitley, the real value of the 10-Minute Play Festival lies in its ability to empower student voices.

“Specifically, at Asbury, I think the theater is always at its best when it’s about student expression,” he said.

In recent years, students have been working to find ways to make their voices heard on campus, whether it is through student government action, writing a sketch for Friday Night Live or complaining about chapel on Twitter. The 10-Minute Play Festival has given students a productive and effective outlet for using their voice.

“With these 10-minute plays we really get to push the boundary a bit with subject matter,” Smitley said.

When asked about the value the 10-minute plays bring to Asbury, Shores said, “To give students a shot at expressing themselves through good dialogue, action and plot structure is a great asset for them and the university. I think when we can see other people’s creativity, it encourages us to be creative too.”

Student voices are irreplaceable on campus, and one of the benefits of going to a small college is that your voice can be heard. The 10-Minute Play Festival is a perfect example of this, and it is not just limited to media communications students.

Shores shared that his hope is that “next year we get plays by English majors, athletes and accountants, because we want to hear your voice.”

Plays can be submitted to Shores via email if you would like to participate in next year’s 10-Minute Play Festival.