Photo by Will Harrison

Student Center receives “face-lift” as Student Development prepares to move in

Change is in the air. Maybe it’s the hint of snow in the forecast. Maybe it’s the two-hour chapels coming in February and March. Or maybe it’s the new wood-panel floors in the Student Center, replacing what used to be carpet as you walk towards the blocked-off second floor, covered with transparent sheets and yellow “CAUTION” tape.

According to student body president Maggie Richwine, the renovations to the affectionately-nicknamed Stuce are the result of “plans to tear down Fletcher-Early in May to make room for the new Collaborative Learning Center building.”

Richwine was involved in talks about “paint colors, flooring, new furniture, and all the cosmetic changes” for the project. She said the renovations include, but are not limited to: the new wood paneling on the first floor, a new custodial closet by the bathroom and the conversion of the second floor into office spaces for Student Development.

“Because Student Development would need a new home, they decided to give a face-lift to the entire Stuce,” Richwine said. She added that the renovations began over Thanksgiving break, continued over winter break and will be ongoing during the spring semester. The work will likely continue over the summer.

“The most difficult part has been trying to make the stuce a welcoming environment amid the renovation,” Richwine said. “We want the construction to happen while students are using the space.”

However, she believes that the changes will be worth it in the long run, even if the renovations are a bit of a distraction to students in the short term.

“I want people to be able to feel more comfortable and enjoy the space,” she said. “I know the minor changes that have already been done have made the Stuce feel more modern, so I am hopeful for the continued improvements to increase student satisfaction.”