Harvey teaches real-life lessons with humor

Asbury students constantly shock and inspire me with their gifts and talents. Never have I been this immersed in a community of individuals who excellently show their passions in a way that invites others to come alongside the journey. The commitment to the arts here at Asbury allows students to put on shows like “Harvey” to display their talents.

“Harvey” is a about a man named Elwood P. Dowd whose best friend is the production’s namesake. Harvey, a pooka, is a six-foot tall invisible rabbit. This inspires interesting dynamics with everyone who encounters Harvey. Through this hilarious show, many life lessons are on display. There is one, however, that stuck out to me from beginning to end: to treat everyone with grace and dignity.

As I watched the show, Dowd expressed this lesson in every interaction he had. Perhaps it was unintentional, but to me it was made very apparent in his personality. Dowd was very intentional about hearing the concerns of the others. That is where I saw him dignifying others. Through his own interactions, I found a parallel that caused me to reflect on my personal interactions with other people. One of my favorite things about the performing arts is that it allows the viewers to connect with the actors and characters being portrayed on the stage.

As Christians, we are called to love one another as Christ has loved. Often times we stumble due to our fallen nature. “Harvey” shows us that no matter who someone is or how they have affected you, you can still show patience and love to them. 

Elwood P. Dowd shares a quote that his mother would share with him as he was growing up that resonated with me deeply: “In this world, Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant; for years I was smart, but I prefer pleasant.” As I sat in my seat, I was left in a state that made me wonder what life would be like if we all had this perspective.  

The dynamics and energy of the cast members on and off stage help elevate this show from great to amazing. It is evident that the actors have diligently studied their roles to help depict this story. Harvey changes back and forth from serious to comedic and the cast handles it well. This cast exemplifies family dynamics on and off stage. Watching the cast interact off stage showed a familiar nature that also benefits what was happening on stage. As usual for Asbury productions, the caliber of acting was second to none. The student directors have truly given our campus a treat from the set, to the cast, and to the story.

“Harvey” truly is worth paying for a ticket and setting aside a couple of hours to identify with the characters and wrestle with the life themes and lessons Harvey has to offer. A huge “hats-off” to junior Chad Carmack (the director), junior Hannah Thibaudeau (the assistant director/production designer) and the cast for a phenomenal job.

Harvey shows Jan. 30 through Feb. 1 at the Greathouse Theatre. Doors open at 6 p.m and the show starts at 6:30 p.m.

Demarion Johnson has been involved with theatre since high school where he had the opportunity to produce choreography, design sets, act on stage, play in the orchestra and work behind the scenes in productions. He has a vast appreciation for the art of theatre.