#AUBeBOLD: Sadie Hawkins dance edition

Ladies, you have the power now. Asbury’s first ever Sadie Hawkins dance is your opportunity to make your inner middle school self proud by asking out that special someone you’ve been stalking in the Stuce.

Similar to Bumble, Sadie Hawkins is an empowering time when females have to make the first move, but not in the form of premeditated pick-up lines (unless that’s your thing!). For many girls, asking a guy out can be intimidating, but also an opportunity from which they can learn a lot about themselves. 

For senior Charis Wieschhaus, Sadie Hawkins is an opportunity for her to let people see how fun and creative asking a guy to the dance can be. After witnessing a series of tweets from excited boys who were eager to know who would ask them to the dance, Wieschhaus came up with the perfect plan. She and a friend stayed up late one night and crafted an application that boys could fill out and send to her Asbury email if they wanted to go to the dance with her. 

“My original intent was to make people laugh when they read it (that’s why the questions are funny and geared towards Asbury culture), but if someone filled it out, it would be great too,” said Wieschhaus.

Although she has not received any applications yet, Weischhaus still encouraged her fellow females to ask regardless. 

“Girl, just ask him. It will be fun no matter what. Just because you ask him to a dance does not mean you are getting married tomorrow,” she said. “You will feel so confident in yourself if you do, and even if he says no, you were brave enough to do it and it will be easier next time. Plus, you are queen, and anyone would be lucky to go with you.”

Senior Tory McKinley took a more casual approach when it came to asking a guy to the dance. She invited the young man to join her group of friends in going to the dance, however, she has not received a definitive answer yet, as the man in question is not fond of dances. McKinley plans on repurposing her proposal closer to the date, once he has had time to warm up to the idea.

McKinley advises other women to be casual when asking a guy to the dance. 

“It’s not like you’re proposing or anything, so there’s no pressure,” she said. Amen, sister. 

Sophomore Madi Bobb felt nervous asking a guy to the dance, but she stated that although it was a nerve-wracking experience, she felt very empowered by it. “For two days I felt like I could do anything,” said Bobb. 

Now, we applaud all these women in their search for a date, but sometimes in life, things don’t always go as planned. Listen fellas, how you choose to proceed with these proposals is up to you, but be nice. There are several ways to go about rejecting an offer, and here are how some of your fellow “Asbury Bachelors” would do it.

Senior Tim McCune said to be as clear with your intentions as possible, and not lead people on. 

“I guess I just try to be honest, and while sometimes that will hurt people in the moment, it is better for everyone in the long run,” he said. 

“I’d just lie, to be honest,” said sophomore Carter Hammond. To my surprise, many guys were very honest and willing to tell me they would rather lie than hurt a girl’s feelings. 

On the other hand, sophomore Sam Diaz said that it is important to speak your truth. 

“Don’t try and come up with some dumb excuse,” he said. “She will understand.” 

He added, “Don’t hurt her feelings, because then I will hurt you.” A real man. 

Girls and guys alike, if you are planning on asking or rejecting someone special, just go for it. But, be honest and confident in whichever you choose to do. In the words of Tory McKinley, “Be bold and follow your dreams! #AUBeBold.”