Preaching Festival grows in number

Students attended the festival both to preach and to support their friends as they move
forward in ministry. For several students it was their first time preaching, or the first time in the
festival-style setting. Junior Olivia Loy, vice president of spiritual life at Asbury, said the festival
was an “excellent opportunity for students to be open and engaged with how God wants to use
the gifts God has given to them.”
Students from various academic disciplines and spiritual backgrounds gathered in Bennet-
Bernard to preach, fellowship and hear the word of God proclaimed at Asbury’s annual
Preaching Festival on Nov. 5 and 6.
Dr. Chris Bounds, professor of theology and chair of the department of Christian studies and
philosophy, said that the heart behind the event was quite simple: “To help raise the next
generation of preachers of the Church.” He mentioned that the event has been held for four
consecutive years, with increasing participation each year.
Bounds also noted that “preaching is central and integral to the life of the church,” which is
evidenced by the 25 students who participated this year. With such high numbers and a continual
growth in expressed interest, the Christian studies department considers the festival successful
and will continue as long as there are students willing to participate.
Loy’s sermon centered on the idea of suffering and used key passages from Romans 5. Senior
Baylee Albers, a youth ministry major, preached on the idea of connection. She centered on the
idea that “if we aren’t connected to God, we cannot truly be connected to one another in
community. God is the one who connects us.”

As various topics were discussed, the students gathered could be seen taking notes and listening
intently to what God had to say through each particular speaker.
For a Christian campus and community, the preaching of “the pure word of God,” as Bounds put
it, is an opportunity for students to investigate an interest in preaching or serving as a lay leader
in the church. The Preaching Festival empowers students to explore their calling into ministry
and it allows for a cultivation of spiritual vitality on Asbury’s campus.