NFL Week 10 Upset: Lions will prevail

There seems to be one week in every NFL season that simply makes no sense. Last week was one of those weeks as the league saw the Chargers dismantle the Packers, the Browns lose to the Broncos, and the Dolphins actually win a game. 

The world of professional sports is unpredictable, but this week there is one team I believe has a great chance of an upset.

This week I have the three-point underdog Detroit Lions defeating divisional rival Chicago Bears. 

Both teams have lost four of their last five games and need a win to stay alive in the playoff hunt. On paper these teams are polar opposites.

While the Bears rely heavily on their defense to win games, the squad has not been able to produce with star defensive tackle Akiem Hicks on injured reserve. 

This defense is still a top-ten squad with generational talent Khalil Mack in the lineup, but the absence of Hicks is hurting this team.

The Lions’ defense, on the other hand, has been historically bad. Head Coach Matt Patricia came to the team to make an average defense great, but instead this squad has allowed a whopping 425 yards a game.

The Lions have instead relied on quarterback Matthew Stafford, who has led the team to a top-ten offense, scoring 26 per game and averaging 408 yards per game. 

The complete opposite is true for the Bears, as the offense scores just 17 points per game and only manages for 285 yards a game. 

This is perhaps the most interesting matchup of the week, as a team with a terrible offense but great defense faces a great offensive team with a terrible defense.

These types of games often come down to the special teams unit and which team can make the most field goals. Bears fans should know where I am going with this. 

The Bears have not been able to find a kicker that consistently makes clutch field goals.  After Cody Parkey’s infamous missed field goal in the 2018 playoffs, the Bears thought they found an answer in Eddie Pineiro.

Pineiro was good to start the season but has struggled of late, a trend highlighted by a missed 41-yard, game-winning field goal against the Chargers. 

The Lions have a massive advantage in this position with Matt Prater. Prater has made over 20 game-winning field goals in his career and there is no kicker in the league who has been more consistent in this category. 

This game will more than likely come down to a field goal, and with the Lions’ offense, I fully expect them to have possession in the closing minutes. Prater will kick a game-winning field goal to put the Lions on top 20-17.