NFL Upset Prediction: Minshew mania to reach new high

Well, last week’s prediction didn’t go so well. Panthers quarterback Kyle Allen had a chance to shine on a massive stage but instead threw three interceptions and posted a 28.9 passer rating. 

The 49ers, on the other hand, came alive against a quality Panthers’ defense and were able to move the ball at will for the first time this season. The 49ers made a huge statement with the 51-13 win over the Panthers and firmly established themselves as the front-runners in the NFC. 

This week, there is one game that sticks out to me as a likely upset. The Jacksonville Jaguars will face the Houston Texans in London on Sunday, and I am confident the two-point underdog Jaguars will leave England with a win. 

After the Texans traded Jadeveon Clowney early this season, the team’s defense simply has not been able to produce. The team has allowed nearly 370 yards per game, produced only  17 sacks, and has forced just three interceptions. 

The team’s defense is about to get a whole lot worse as star defensive end J.J Watt announced he will miss the rest of the year after injuring his chest last week against the Oakland Raiders. 

Watt was the only source of pass rush left on this defense and led the league in hits on quarterback with 20. With the one man holding this defense together off the field, the Texans will not be able to create a pass rush, or force turnovers. 

While the Texans’ story is falling apart, the Jaguars are enjoying one of the greatest feel-good stories in recent memory in the NFL. 

Cult hero Gardner Minshew II has taken the league by storm and has Jaguars fans buying fake mustaches by the hundreds as he continues to produce and keep the Jaguars’ lineup in contention for the AFC South. Minshew, alongside running back Leonard Fournette, should be able to tear the Texans’ defense apart and put up massive numbers. 

While the Texans’ offense features two stars of their own in quarterback Deshaun Watson and wide receiver Deandre Hopkins, the duo will not be able to match the Jaguars’ offense.

After trading cornerback Jalen Ramsey (who made it well known that he did not want to be there), the Jaguars’ defense has seemingly profited and played better allowing just 15 points per game the last three weeks. 

Former Kentucky Wildcat star defensive end Josh Allen has come alive the last few games and has recorded at least one sack in the team’s previous four games and is fitting in nicely alongside defensive linemen Dawuane Smoot and Calais Campbell. 

The trio should be able to put constant pressure on Watson and be able to limit the time Watson has to put the ball in the hands of Hopkins which is a recipe for success. 

The Jaguars simply have too many playmakers for the depleted Texans’ team to handle. Look for the Jaguars to win 30-17.

The Asbury Collegian is an Asbury University publication. Our staff is made up of entirely students of Asbury University and we seek to report on issues relevant to Asbury’s campus and the surrounding community.