Deadlines and extensions: Give professors grace

In high school, I often felt like my teachers were incapable of handing work back to me.
Often, when they did return grades, there was little feedback and it could be quite irritating to
wait for something that did little good. When I came to college, I thought that the problem would
resolve itself.
Yet this extended period of time to return grades and feedback is still a common source
of complaints among college students. Junior Phoebe Grimwood said, “As students, we are
required to follow strict deadlines when it comes to turning in assignments or taking exams. But
I feel like some professors do not grade papers and exams and give them back quickly enough
for them to be useful.” This tendency can prove detrimental to the entire learning process, and
often generates frustration and tension between student and professor.
However, it is important to realize that this complaint-oriented stereotype is the minority.
Most professors, especially here at Asbury, give careful attention to their work and giving
constructive feedback. Although this can cost in the time necessary to give back an assignment
or upload a grade on Discovery, the well-thought-out feedback and open times for discussion
often make up for the time delay.
Dr. Chris Bounds, Professor of Theology, uses his syllabus to establish his unique
grading procedure and expectations. His rule is that the student will receive full points on the
assignment if the paper is not returned with a grade and/or feedback within one week of the due
date. He does this because he recognizes the “importance of giving feedback.” Bounds has been

operating off this system for his eighteen years of teaching, and notes that it also “gives [him] an
incentive” to take care with others’ work while still respecting their time.
Dr. Daniel Strait, Professor of English, echoed the same sentiment. “Timely and
meaningful feedback” holds the priority in his grading and returning policy, and he spoke of
maintaining the balance between the two aspects. While he does not adhere to a strict time
deadline like Bounds, Strait did note that returning an assignment “after two and a half weeks” or
more was pushing the limits.
However, Strait also mentioned that professors have lives outside of the classroom, and it
is important for students to recognize that.
“Professors don’t just teach classes. They serve on committees, have families, churches
and individual lives,” he said. Students should have the maturity to recognize that some of these
things take priority. We as students certainly understand the reality of overcommitment and too
many things requiring our attention, focus and time, and should be able to extend grace to
professors who are busy with the demands of life as well.
Professors at Asbury do genuinely care for their students as individuals, both personally
and academically. Few, if any, would ever purposefully hinder a student from succeeding in the
classroom by withholding feedback or grades. While there are some professors who might
benefit from a stricter self-imposed deadline, there are just as many, if not more, who return any
work in a timely manner.
Instead of an attitude of complaint that can seem dangerously close to disrespect,
practice empathy for your professors. Like any relationship, professional or personal, it goes both
ways. Sometimes, even professors need an extension.