Photo by Elijah Lutz

2019 Kentucky election results

During his last four years of his time in office, Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin has become a very controversial figure in Kentucky politics. In April 2018, Bevin signed a law restricting how teachers used sick days and changed how the state would pay off the pension debt. Teachers and supporters have responded by going on strike and protesting at the state’s capital.

“I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home,” Bevin said on April 15, 2018. “Because nobody was there to watch them.” His comments about teachers and their actions motivated voters to find his replacement. 

This year Bevin ran for reelection against Democrat Andy Beshear and Libertarian John Hicks. According to The New York Times, Beshear beat Bevin by 5,086 votes (0.4%). Though Beshear had over five thousand more votes in his favor, Bevin refused to concede. He made claims of voter fraud, claiming that people were turned away from voting and machines malfunctioned. 

Many lawmakers, such as Republican James Nemes from Louisville, are urging Bevin to “give it up” and concede or provide evidence to support his claims. 

“If there is evidence of fraud or illegalities, as was alluded to last night,” Nemes said in a Facebook post, “Governor Bevin should state his claim immediately and let the evidence be reviewed.” 

“My expectation is that [Bevin] will honor the election that was held tonight,” Beshear said on election night. 

Beshear is the only Democratic candidate to win one of Kentucky’s 2019 elections. Daniel Cameron won the Attorney General vote with 57.8% of the vote, while Ryan Quarles and Mike Harmon will remain in office as the Agricultural Commissioner and Auditor, respectively. Michael Adams received 52.3% of the vote for Secretary of State, and Allison Ball will stay in office after being reelected Treasurer by 60.7% of the votes.