Photo by Paul Sollenberger

Silent Sky Preview

Asbury University’s theater department is putting on a performance of Lauren Gunderson’s “Silent Sky.” The show will run for two weekends beginning on Oct. 3rd. The cast is made up of five members. 

Based on true events, the story follows Henrietta Leavitt, a female astronomer who begins working at the Harvard College Observatory in the early 1900s. It tells her story of working in a male-dominated industry, as well as the hardships she had to overcome, both at work and in her personal life.

Senior Mary Beth Kane portrays Henrietta in Asbury’s production and said she is honored to be playing the lead role. 

“Henri [Henrietta] is curious, determined, passionate, and feisty,” Kane said. “I’ve had so much fun getting to know her throughout this process, and I’m so excited to share her story.”

According to cast members, the show comes with its own set of challenges. Senior Sarah Nesselroade said that the scientific terminology involved has been especially taxing. 

“We use a lot of scientific language throughout the show and in order to tell this story truthfully, we have had to understand all of this vocabulary throughout the rehearsal process,” she said. 

Aside from learning new terminology, the cast had very little time to prepare for the show as their rehearsals began on Aug. 26. However, junior Olivia Coxon said that the small cast was “very dedicated to creating characters the audience will love to follow,” despite the limited amount of time given. 

Acting Professor and Director Jeff Day said that “Silent Sky” is among his most favorite plays he has directed recently. He said the appeal comes from the writing, the fact that it is based on a true story, and the historical and scientific significance. 

“Henrietta was never recognized in her lifetime for what she did,” Day said. 

The show opened on Thursday, Oct. 3 and runs through Saturday, Oct. 12. Kane says, “If you like stories with charm, romance, and female empowerment, come see Silent Sky!”