Pause Chapel: An opportunity for solitude in the midst of chaos

Moments of silence and solitude are usually when it’s easiest to hear from God. These times of peace allow us to focus completely on what God wants to say to us, and this time of rest and reflection can also help us recharge.

Unfortunately, creating space and stopping is difficult for students, especially in the middle of the semester. With the combined pressure of classes, extracurriculars and maintaining relationships, finding a time to pause can feel impossible. 

Luckily, Pause chapel allows students to use the hour that is typically reserved for chapel to take intentional time to rest. 

“Pause was raised up out of a desire to help everyone create some intentional space to be still and listen for God’s still small voice,” said John Morley, assistant director of Career and Calling. “Throughout the ages, silence and solitude have been important spiritual practices to be present with God. Life today is busy and many people want microwave answers and spirituality where things happen fast. For most folks, spiritual growth is a process that occurs as we create space for God, utilizing various spiritual practices as our response to His love.”

Taking place once a month in Bennet-Bernard, Pause chapel allows students to practice silence and solitude to hear God. The space is open to all and everyone is encouraged to take a position that is comfortable for them that will allow them to receive from God. Students are welcome to do whatever is best for them — some sit, some lie down, some read their Bible, some journal, some pray, and some simply rest.

“Pause is simply a time to be quiet and still for a period of time,” said Morley. “We typically don’t have a lesson or program. I do some instructions on how to slow down and still yourself using things like breathe prayers, but most of the time it is self-directed as participants try to take a moment to pause from the hecticness of life.”

The self-directed aspect of Pause chapel allows students to interact with God in the ways that work best for them and helps them take a break from the busyness of college life. 

“Pause chapel was a great way to sit back and have quiet time that was specifically dedicated to talking to God and listening to what He was trying to tell me,” said sophomore Noah Wright. “It was a very refreshing break to do this during the normal chapel time.”

Participants receive chapel credit for this time of rest as it takes place during the chapel hour. Pause takes place once a month, and the next Pause chapel will be on November 11. All students are invited to intentionally take a break and listen to what God has to say to them.