Photo by Will Harrison

Letter to the Editor: Say something to Executive Cabinet

It is interesting to me that on such a small campus — one where we could walk into any building and run into faculty, staff and administration — Asbury still lacks communication. Students still feel their voice does not count and there is not a direct line to administration. First, I would like to say that is not true. If you want a meeting with staff, faculty or administration, ask them. I have never been told no when I have asked to meet with someone. Second, and I would like to shout this from the rooftop, but I cannot, so I will write it here: the administration does care about student perspective.

I know it can feel like there are so many different voices, interests, motives, priorities, money sources and perspectives that complicate the avenues of student’s voice and student desire, but there is a way to work through all of that. It is called Asbury Student Congress. I also know that some people might wonder if Student Congress does anything or if we have any authority in decision-making processes. I want to take a moment and say emphatically: yes, we do. I am not going to print you a list of all the proposals and projects ASC has been a part of over in the four years I have been a student here, but I would love for you to ask me or someone on Executive Cabinet if you have doubts or questions.

ASC is valued by faculty, staff and administration. We spend a lot of time in conversations about ideas, new programs and changes from big to small. We plan events, write proposals and spend hours brainstorming how we could make an impact on behalf of the student body. We try year after year to bring student voice to the “higher-ups.” Some projects we are currently working on are partnering with the Center for Wholeness and Wellness to increase services, looking into opening the Luce and library on Sundays and collaborating with the Eagle Outlet on Asbury apparel.

As Student Body President, it is my job to advocate and represent each student’s voice. I try my best to listen and respond to what my peers are saying. I am not afraid to ask questions, schedule meetings and work through all the messy details to make something happen. Here is my problem, though: I do not know what is most important. There are so many possibilities of projects, emails and meetings I could have, but I do not know where the focal point of my efforts should be. EC wants to know what big projects we should be spending our time on.

I love Asbury. I love to serve. I absolutely love being the Student Body President. But I cannot do my job well if I do not know what students really want. ASC cannot adequately fulfill its purpose without knowing what students desire. That said, there is a difference between complaining and seeking out change. Tweeting about it will not change anything; talking to EC could. I want to hear your ideas, suggestions, comments and concerns. I want to know who you are, your story and what you love about Asbury. I want to be in your corner, advocate for you and cheer you on in your success and failure.

I genuinely believe Asbury is one of the best places on earth that has so many fully functioning, extremely beneficial traditions, programs and events. But there is always room for improvement. EC, ASC and I are here. We are here to advocate for you and represent you. Sometimes as students it does feel like it’s hard to get our voices heard. It might seem like no one is listening. But the cool thing is ASC is here for that very reason. We are here to listen and work on your behalf. If you do not want to send that email to administration, let us be your voice. I have so many ideas and projects I want to work on, but there is not enough time in one academic year. I need help narrowing my focus, and you can do that. 

There are multiple ways you can talk to me. I have office hours, social media, you could email me or the ASC account, I eat in the caf every day, or you could scream at me on the sidewalk. Just say something!

ASC is also about celebrating greatness. The greatness of Asbury, the greatness of faculty, staff and administration and the greatness of you! So tell us what you love. Tell us what wakes you up in the morning, makes you excited about going to class and what makes Asbury a place you love. The sole reason that I do the job that I do is to serve the student body. I want you to love Asbury. So if you don’t love it right now — let me love it for you. Then let’s have a conversation about how we can work together to help make it a place that you love, too.