UK starting quarterback injured, backup steps up

The University of Kentucky is already calling their backup quarterback to the field after their starter sustained a knee injury in UK’s second season game against Eastern Michigan University on Saturday, Sept. 7. 

According to CBS Sports, the horse-collar tackle that took starting quarterback Terry Wilson out in the second half of the game resulted in a torn patellar tendon in his left knee, requiring surgery and most likely keeping Wilson from playing the rest of the season. 

UK brought backup Sawyer Smith into the game and he led the team to a 38-17 win, making 5 of 9 passes for a total of 72 yards and two touchdowns. A transfer student to UK from Troy University, Smith is no stranger to rising to the challenge when coach calls. He won five of the seven games he started after stepping in as Troy’s backup quarterback. 

And while it may be unreasonable to expect Smith to exhibit the same kind of leadership and control of the field as his predecessor (who led UK to 12 wins of his first 15 starts), Smith’s teammates are confident in his abilities. 

UK wide receiver Ahmad Wagner told the Courier Journal after the Eastern Michigan game that Smith is “not afraid.”

“He’s going to take chances,” Wagner said. “He’s going to run, throw. He’s a really good quarterback. He’s a good leader.”

Kentucky takes on the Florida Gators this Saturday, Sept. 14 in Lexington at 7 p.m.