The Center for Career and Calling: Helping students discern how to invest in the world

Every student has basic needs that include, but are not limited to, a resume, internships and a job after graduation. Although no one can just hand these things to a student, there’s a place on campus that can make the process of acquiring these needs a little easier — the Center for Career and Calling (CCC).

“The CCC is here to help students determine what they want to do and then figure out how to do it,” said CCC Associate Dean Michelle Kratzer. “It is our greatest joy to help students understand who God created them to be and discern how he is leading them to invest in the world. We believe 100% that each of us is ‘God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works that he prepared in advance for us to do,’ [from] Ephesians 2:10.”

The CCC, which is on the top floor of Fletcher-Early, assists students in deciding on a major and finding internships, jobs (summer, part-time and full-time), shadowing opportunities, graduate school information, networking resources and more. The CCC also helps students create resumes and cover letters. All of the services provided are free.

Students have two major ways in which they can interact with the CCC — personal appointments and sessions. 

“One-on-one appointments can be classic career counseling, basic coaching or a time to use some assessments for further discernment,” said Kratzer. “Every student is unique and comes with her/his own questions. One-on-one appointments are tailored to address these individual questions.”

Appointments can be made online on the CCC website, which allows students to choose a time that fits best with their schedule. Also, students can come into the office and schedule an appointment in person.

Along with personal appointments, the CCC also encourages students to attend career prep sessions. There are three different career prep sessions: Resume 101, Resume 201 and LinkedIn. Resume 101, which covers the basics of resume writing, meets on Thursday during dead hour. Resume 201 is a follow-up to Resume 101 and is where students should go to have their resume draft reviewed. It takes place on Tuesday during dead hour. The LinkedIn session is on Thursday at 4 p.m. and provides basic details on creating a LinkedIn account. All sessions take place in Fletcher-Early room 206.

The CCC also hosts pop-up events.

“Students are encouraged to watch for recruiting events, mock interview events and professional preview events that take place across campus at various times,” said Kratzer. 

All students are invited to use the services provided at the CCC regardless of academic status as they seek discernment.

“The process of discerning vocation is just that — a process.  This means that it takes time,” said Kratzer. “Coming to the CCC early in their time at [Asbury] can help students move through the process of career and calling preparation as smoothly as possible. But, there’s no wrong way to use the services in the CCC. While we love to see freshmen and sophomores start preparing themselves early — ‘Begin with the end in mind,’ said Stephen Covey — we are also happy to work with seniors in their final hours on campus if that is when they are ready to use the services. The Center is here to serve.”