The Asbury Collegian: Bringing light to the darkness of media

In an era of fake news, obvious but denied news bias and a larger narrative guided by the media, things in America seem to look as grim as ever (but that’s what they’ve always said, except maybe in the late 40’s, right?). If we honestly take time to evaluate the times we live in, we realize that each generation has its own obstacles to navigate and hurdles to leap. But let’s face the facts: Humans are short-sighted. We look at the day we’re in, the month’s hottest talking point, the year’s biggest headlines and we form our conclusions. 

According to a Gallup poll, over the last three years, trust in the media has been at an all time low since the 1970s. Unsurprisingly, the media is constantly under barrage from both the secular and religious world. So why participate? How can we, the Asbury Collegian, say we’re committed to a future hope when we’re a member of the media, the very industry that is focused on minute-by-minute attention and a constant 24-hour news cycle? 

In Matthew 5:14, Jesus called his followers to be the light of the world, a city on a hill. Cities are known for their inescapable light pollution that spreads for miles in all directions of the night sky, indicating the source of vitality, bustling activity and life. This is Christianity, penetrating the darkness of the world with true life and energy. This is why Christians should continue to engage with the mainstream media. 

As a Christian, I’ve come to realize that we shouldn’t be looking at the time God gave us with disparity, but with binoculars. We need to be more far-sighted, because our hope is ultimately not in this world. Maybe this seems too optimistic or idealistic in a world rocked by hurricanes, famine, and mass shootings, but hope is a core belief of Christianity. Even though we know from a read of Revelation that the world is going to get increasingly messier before Christ brings ultimate resolution, our looking to the future and not despairing is not blind naiveté. It’s recognizing that the world we live in now, though filled with evil, still needs Jesus. And yes, that means even in the media. 

In an era of questioning and challenging everything, Christians should be seizing opportunities to provide answers founded in truth. The darkness cannot become lit on its own, and the Asbury Collegian’s goal is to be this expository light, a beacon not becoming weary of lies or fake news or darkness, but pointing to hope.