Summer Missions Snapshot: Part I

Kenya

Led by James Ballard from the World Gospel Mission student center, a team of twelve traveled to Kenya, Africa from June 1-16. Since WGM itself as an organization is transitioning from holding traditional mission trips to what is known as a “vision trip,” the team was able to experience varying aspects of the mission field already present in Kenya. 

A big part of WGM’s mission ideology in Kenya is to give the people what’s considered “a hand up, not a hand out,” so the vision trip allowed the team to visit many different environments ranging from hospitals to farms. The team spent multiple days at Tenwek Hospital in Bomet, Kenya. Through groups at Tenwek, missionaries and sponsors help the people in the surrounding area by empowering them with medical education as well as new farming techniques. 

Although being in a remote mission field can make it seem like the world needs more nurses and doctors, sometimes all the people want and need are people willing to teach and learn. Senior Nathanael Chong, a communications major on the trip, met a young boy named Enoch while visiting a village south of Narok called Olderkesi.

“He followed our team around the whole time we were in the area,” said Chong. “When I lent him my camera, I quickly learned that he was a natural at photography. It was exciting just to show him the basic buttons and watch him go off snapping photos.” 

Sophomore Steven Thompson jumped at the opportunity to visit Africa and explore his call to missions when presented the chance. Never having left the country before and being scared of bugs, Thompson was challenging himself with an entirely new experience. Though he admits to missing his family and friends while abroad, he made some lasting friendships in Kenya and still keeps in contact with them today. 

“One person in particular that I will never forget is Michael Twala… He ran one of the only businesses in the community of Olderkesi and woke up everyday motivated to support his family, live for Jesus Christ, and have fun while doing it,” Thompson said. “I still stay in contact with Michael through Instagram and I can’t wait to visit him again.”

Both Chong and Thompson would love to go back to Africa, as well as see how God is working throughout the rest of the world.

Dominican Republic

Asbury sports teams often will travel with their teammates on mission trips through the athletic department. However, for the first time the athletic department organized a multi-team trip to the Dominican Republic. A group led by Coach Mayes was formed of players from the basketball and softball teams. 

Senior Ally Moore felt led to participate in this particular trip greatly due to the cause. “I am a major advocate for female empowerment and reducing sex trafficking,” she said. “The Dominican is the fourth highest place in the world for sex trafficking. Once I knew that, I felt compelled to go and help.”

The team worked alongside Freeing Individuals from the Grasp of Human Trafficking (FIGHT) Ministries to build safe houses for women and girls affected by sex trafficking. FIGHT Ministries has been working in the D.R. since 2012 to rescue victims of sex trafficking and offering education and counseling as needed. 

Even with the difficult situations and hardships throughout the D.R., Moore admits she did not feel uncomfortable or unsafe. “I learned that God is always working everywhere in the world. Even in places that are in dire times, God is working,” she explained. 

Colombia

A few weeks before students moved back onto campus, one team moved in early in order to leave for their mission trip to Colombia. The cross-country team formed a group to help with various ministries, including working on an avocado farm and visiting a prison. 

Sophomore Olivia Hopper felt a strong desire to experience more of the global church, so going to Colombia with her teammates seemed like just the right opportunity. The people of Colombia were incredibly welcoming to the Asbury cross country team. 

“God changed my view of the world by expanding my ability to see the good in those we think are the worst of the worst,” Hopper said. 

While there, she crossed paths with a man named Carlos. When he was young, Carlos found himself mixed in with the wrong crowd and ended up working with Pablo Escobar, a Colombian drug lord. Later on in prison, Carlos met Christ and now lives a life sharing the Gospel with fellow inmates while teaching his woodworking classes. One of Carlos’ wood carvings is now located in the Asbury Seminary’s Student Center entryway.  

While the team was working in this country riddled with crime and drugs, Christ worked to bring them together as well. Sophomore Joy Marshall is new to the cross-country team and this was one of her first experiences bonding with them. “Coming into the trip, I only knew a few of my teammates, but leaving the trip, I felt like I had joined a new family.”