Morley’s “Dream House” metaphors capture both unity and dysfunction

Everyone dreams about their future home. With a little creativity, the possibilities are endless and you can let your mind run wild. You can admire the beautiful homes you see around you to gain inspiration, and in your imagination, you can build the perfect house from the foundation up.

Art & Design department Adjunct Professor Elissa Morley not only dreamed of her perfect home but then brought it to life through art. 

“My ex-boyfriend and I would look at houses and dream about their possibilities and a possible future together,” said Morley. “Although the relationship ended painfully, I still remain interested in houses.  One morning in the shower, the idea came upon me to use the house form as a symbol for relationships and relational boundaries, functionality and experiences. Often, in my work, they are a metaphor for unity and harmony but can express dysfunction as well.”

Morley took the dreams of a possible future and the symbolism behind a home and went to work. Over nine months she completed 23 pieces, which are featured in her exhibit titled “Dream House” on display in Z.T’s Bistro.

Her personal favorite piece in the show was completed just weeks before the exhibition. The piece is titled “Bedroom: Tell Me A Tale.” Morley said that she learned a lot from this piece itself and from God reaching her through it.

“Immediately I realized that it was communicating on a level of which I did not think I was capable,” said Morley.  “Madeleine L’Engle talks about this kind of phenomenon in her book on art and faith called ‘Walking on Water,’ saying that if you serve the work God gives to you as an artist, then your work will instruct you.  Artists and writers simply need to be available to listen to and serve the work. This, of course, takes time and hard work. I encourage all of Asbury’s creative community to serve the work and it will speak to more people than you could have hoped.”

Morley is an adjunct professor at Asbury University and is also the art gallery coordinator. A Florida native, she is an alumna of Asbury and also studied at the Slade School of Fine Art in London. Her work is featured in many private collections internationally along with having her personal exhibit at her alma mater. The gallery is open until Sept. 13, 2019, and the hours are 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.