Help, I’ve been crushed by my schedule and I can’t get up: Treating the self-inflicted curse of overcommitment

Overcommitment seems to be a major theme of the fall 2019 semester. After five weeks of classes, it seems as if people have just now begun to realize that they cannot escape all of the things that they’ve committed to. So now that you’re amid your multiple commitments, you’re probably wondering, “Is it even possible to have an enjoyable semester?” 

Nope. It’s not. 

Just kidding; there are actually things you can do to make it just a tad bit better. 

First things first, say, “No.” While it may be too late to relinquish the responsibilities you already have, make sure to say no to the new opportunities that may arise. While these activities may pique your interest, if you are unable to give something up and already have limited time, do yourself a favor and do not do it. Just because it’s available doesn’t mean you should take part. And don’t be overwhelmed by the FOMO (fear of missing out) that not participating gives you. Being involved is great; barely sleeping or under-investing in activities because you lack the time to properly invest is not. 

“It’s just like a garden, you can’t say yes to every seed. You can only garden certain things because if you said yes to every seed available, there would not be space for things to grow,” writes Christian author and speaker Annie F. Downs in her devotion “100 Days to Brave.”

Essentially by saying no to things, you allow yourself to grow in the activities you’re already a part of, and you open the door for other opportunities to come forth that may be bigger and better. The way to do this is through recognizing the fact that you’re overcommitted and acknowledging that you cannot take on more commitments. 

Furthermore, recognition of your overcommitment is essential because, amidst it, you must acknowledge that you cannot do everything. Thus delegation is key. Unfortunately, those who tend to overcommit sometimes lack the oversight to delegate. However, handing off responsibilities to other people does not communicate laziness or lack of ability, but instead demonstrates that you trust those with whom you work and are willing to work as a team. 

If we are hoarding responsibilities for ourselves because we think no one else can complete tasks to our personal level of perfection, then we need to refocus. 

“When a lot of duties are handled by one person, inefficiency creeps in resulting to wrong decisions that negatively influence the company operations,” said Marketing91 creator Hitesh Bhasin. 

And while we may not be running companies, to work efficiently with people we need to be willing to let go and trust. Additionally, this lends itself to allowing ourselves to ask for help. At the end of the day, we cannot do everything, and it is okay not to be able to do everything because we are human. This is especially important to remember among those who are carrying a lot of responsibilities. 

Ultimately, finding support systems is important, whether it’s signing up for a counseling session to talk through everything you’re handling, talking to friends or speaking with those with whom you work so you’re not bottling things up and avoiding mental processing.

Lastly, be intentional about setting aside time for your social life. We get it; you are busy. But that shouldn’t stop you from taking time to enjoy yourself. Find an activity that allows you to put down your responsibilities for a moment, whether it be hanging out with friends or finding time to zone out and watch Netflix. Whatever helps you reset yourself and become refreshed to complete all your responsibilities — do it. 

According an article by PsychCentral, “to practice self-care is a self-compassionate act. The alternative is resentment and unstable relationships. Having poor boundaries means overextending ourselves.  . . . resentment can make us isolate ourselves.”

Without setting aside time to relax, you will easily find yourself bitter and resentful. No one wants to be around a bitter person, so be sure to dedicate time to the things you enjoy. 

To those who are overcommitted and took the time to read this article with the little time you do have, we appreciate it. I hope you are each taking care of your personal needs so that you can be the best version of yourself. While it may not always be easy or fun, it is through establishing boundaries for yourself that you are able to find pleasure in the midst of a hectic schedule.