Four ways to avoid the ‘Freshman 15’

The transition from high school to college is one that many health-conscious students may have to watch out for. Between the stress of leaving “the nest” for the first time or struggling to pick your major, many freshmen can fall prey to the dreaded “Freshman 15.” 

15 is just a made-up number; according to a study from Ohio State University many students only gain between 2.5 to 3.5 pounds. Now this is not cardinal law for all incoming freshmen; as many as 15 percent even lose weight during their college careers, according to a health expert from the Huffington Post. With that in mind, here are four ways that you can avoid gaining the Freshman 15. 

1. Eat Healthy

Now that mom is out of the picture and isn’t telling you to eat your veggies, getting two bistro cookies is easier than ever before. With the almost unlimited supply of food choices in the cafeteria and bistro, overeating can be one of the main factors for weight gain. The habits you start with will most likely continue throughout the year making it very difficult to stop. It’s all about portion control. Bistro Manager Brynna Rose recommends vying for healthier options. 

“The Bistro has a wide variety of healthy choices that you can choose from. Sandwiches, wraps and salads are a great choice for an entree,” Rose said. “We also have healthy soup options and are currently offering Kentucky proud locally grown orange watermelon.” 

2. Hit the Gym

It’s all about exercise, and I don’t mean walking from your dorm room to the Miller building. Not getting enough exercise is one of the biggest factors for gaining weight. Sure, classes and extracurriculars make getting to the gym harder, but it is possible. Student trainer Didier Fardin, of the Visionary Class, recommends getting to the gym at least three times per week.

Take advantage of the Luce facilities and the GC Gym. A study done by the American Intercontinental University shows that students who exercise regularly have increased focus and concentration as well as memory retention. 

“It is also a great way to use it to get away from the stress that may come from your classes,” said Fardin. 

3. Go to Bed

Pulling an all-nighter is almost always a terrible idea. According to a study from the University of Texas A&M, a sleep-deprived brain is dysfunctional. 

“Sleep deprivation’s effect on working memory is staggering,” said David Earnest, Ph.D., a professor with the Texas A&M College of Medicine. “Your brain loses efficiency with each hour of sleep deprivation.” 

If you think getting anything under seven hours of sleep is enough, it isn’t. We caught you sleeping in chapel. 

The Sleep and Chronobiology Laboratory at the Hospital at University at Pennsylvania demonstrated the longest sleep-restriction study of its kind. Based on their findings, students should get at least eight hours of sleep to maintain good health and to function at their maximum potential. 

So instead of going on late-night Sonic runs and binging on caffeine, do yourself a favor and go to bed. 

4. Get Some Help

It is 2019; getting help is no longer taboo. If you’re sick, go to the clinic. Those essential oils aren’t working. Nurse Heidi Sunny, from the Asbury University Center for Wholeness and Wellness, recommends stopping by for a checkup or even taking advantage of the “self help” station that is stocked with over the counter remedies. 

College is an overwhelming time in life that can have students feeling stressed or depressed. 

Stress can lead to many issues involving weight gain. USA Today reported that 76% of female students and 33% of males say they eat when under stress. 

Sunny advises students to go to the counseling center if they feel anxious or just need to speak to a professional.

“Before things get too far out of hand, come and talk to someone to figure out some techniques to decrease the stress in your life,” she said.