Asbury University Activities Fair 2019 recap

The annual Asbury Activities Fair took place Aug. 22 at the semicircle. Churches, clubs, and organizations both old and new returned to meet the students and showcase their events.

Featured at the Banded Discipleship booth, the Alpha Course, a new program led by Greg Haseloff, Campus Chaplin. The Alpha Course is a group where students new to the faith can explore why Christians believe what they do in a space where everyone is in the same situation. 

“Our hope is that students will find a place where they can really ask questions about their faith, grow in their faith, and come out knowing why they believe what they believe,” said Assistant Chaplain Jeannie Banter. The program kicked off Aug. 28 and meets at 6:30 p.m. every Wednesday at Solomon’s Porch. 

For students looking for a more interactive booth experience, the equestrian program brought two horses from the farm to meet students and visitors. This year, the equestrian program has opened a class to non-equine majors and minors. In addition to this new class, the equestrian program hosts trail rides about once a month for any students to visit the barn and horses in training. 

Keeping with tradition, there was also free food at some of the booths. The World Gospel Mission student center handed out cold-brew coffee while cabinet members spoke to students, encouraging them to visit the student center to hear from missionaries on Sunday nights at Global Café.

The tumbling team took time to show off their skills and taught younger kids from the surrounding area some moves of their own; Southland Christian Church captured many students’ attention by handing out Steel City Pops popsicles; and the returning herpetology club brought animals for the crowd to interact with, including a large bunny and snake.

The Activities Fair showcased many exciting clubs and events happening throughout the course of the semester. From joining churches in the area to joining the tumbling team, there are plenty of events to keep students busy.