Where are they now?: Matthew McCurry

Matthew McCurry, a 2018 graduate of Asbury University, made a quick turn-around to find himself back in Wilmore, Kentucky, just eight months after commencement. Immediately after graduation, McCurry took a job as the head golf pro at The Links at Heartland Crossing Golf Club in Indianapolis, Indiana, where he oversaw operations at the course and managed the staff.

Last semester, McCurry heard of an opportunity to move back to the Bluegrass State as an assistant on the golf team and jumped at the chance. “Being a former player last year helped with the decision,” McCurry said about his return. “I am able to connect with the players in ways other people may not be able to.”

While he was a member of the Eagles golf program, he took home the 2017-2018 River States Conference Player of the Year for golf on his way to a fourth-place finish at the conference tournament last April. He added 15 top-five finishes and three total tournament wins to his résumé, including the 2017 River States Conference Tournament.

“Golf is a sport that you can play for the rest of your life.” McCurry said. “Having the competitive experience from Asbury has helped me build confidence moving forward.” Currently, when he’s not on the links with his team, McCurry works as the merchandising manager at Man O’ War Golf Learning Center in Lexington, Kentucky.

McCurry enjoyed his time in Indianapolis, but he knew where his passion truly was. “I have a strong calling in being a golf coach, and [coach Joe Barr and I] both felt that this was the right move for me and the team.”