Swimming Makes a Splash at Nationals

Nick Morgan, Sports Editor

Both the Eagles men’s and women’s swimming teams finished up their seasons on a high note last weekend at the NAIA National Championships in Columbus, Georgia. The men’s team was led by freshman standout Alex Wu, who claimed victory in the 200m Butterfly with a new school record time of 1:47.89. Wu is just the fifth swimmer to win a national championship in the purple and white. Others joining Wu as NAIA All-Americans are Clay Bisher, who took sixth place in the 200m backstroke, and Ronan Passman, who took eighth in the 200m breaststroke. The men took home an eighth place finish, improving from their 12th place finish last season.

On the women’s side, the team of Claire Goodrum, Rosie Gary, Kristen Bewley and Hope Clark took sixth place in the 400m freestyle relay, earning each of them All-American honors. The women’s team finished in 11th place. After the dust settled, the teams broke a combined four Asbury school records.

Final times:

Men:

200 Backstroke

• Clay Bisher – Sixth place (1:51.80)*

200 Breaststroke

• Ronan Passman – Eighth place (2:07.38)*
  • Caleb Reams – 12th place (2:08.59)

200 Butterfly

• Alex Wu – First place (1:47.89)*

400 Freestyle Relay

• Ronan Passman, Clay Bisher, Keith Jessee, Alex Wu – 13th place (3:09.36)

Women:

400 Freestyle Relay

• Claire Goodrum, Rosie Gary, Kristen Bewley, Hope Clark – Sixth place (3:36.55)*

*denotes All-American honors