Common sense lowers vehicle thefts

By Breana Staten, Opinion Editor

On Aug. 21, one day after the fall 2018 semester had begun, Asbury’s entire campus received an emergency text from the Department of Safety and Security: “Reported agitated man near the Cage. … Police en route to make contact with agitated person.”
On Oct. 15, Safety and Security sent a campus-wide email: “There have been at least three thefts from vehicles over this past weekend. During the course of one of the thefts, a ‘slim-jim’ type car door opening device was used to gain access, and at least one vehicle was reported to be unlocked.” According to the email, this marked the first time a professional car-opening device had been utilized on Asbury University’s campus.
According to David Hay, Asbury’s director of Safety and Security, vehicle thefts have escalated.
“The number of thefts from cars on campus is slightly more than this time last year,” said Hay. “Campus typically has four to six in a year.” This semester alone we’ve already had three reported to Safety & Security according to Hay.
This may be a cause for concern. However, if we begin to take certain precautions now, we can attempt to limit the number of vehicle thefts occurring on campus.
First, to those of you who choose to leave your doors unlocked — lock your car doors. A majority of the vehicle thefts that have occurred on campus are due to students and faculty leaving vehicles unlocked, so locking car doors is the easiest solution to help limit the amount of thefts. Furthermore, be sure not to leave valuables on car seats or in visible areas that those walking past can see, as this temptation entices people to steal.