Best of: The Summit

By Cathryn Lien, Featured Editor

The Summit at Fritz Farms, a brand new shopping center located on the northeast corner of Man O’ War Boulevard and Nicholasville Road, has opened its doors just 20 minutes from Asbury University. With a style that is a modern take on southern tradition, the complex has become home to 23 street-level shops and 22 dining options, with more businesses opening on a rolling basis.

Whether you’re looking for a sweet treat, new dorm décor or a place to hang out off-campus, the Summit has something for everybody. We have narrowed it down to the top four must-go attractions.

Sugarboo & Co.

A self-proclaimed “dealer in whimsy,” this home and stationary shop is full of fashionable home furnishings that will complement any dorm room or apartment. Started by artist Rebecca Puig in 2005, the family-owned and -operated business sells a variety of handcrafted products appealing to both guys and girls, including candles, dishware, ceramics, soaps, art prints, fashion accessories and leather-bound journals.

The store will soon launch its branded t-shirt, and trunk shows are held every two weeks.

Steel City Pops

Already a fan favorite among Asbury students, Steel City Pops began serving Lexington at the vendor market “Market 301” and now calls the Summit its first brick-and-mortar Kentucky home. Reasonably priced and locally made, the pops come in 26 different flavors, with fruity, creamy and cookie options, all made gluten-free and organic.

We recommend the pop of the month: Mexican hot chocolate.

Draper James

Actress Reese Witherspoon opened this southern belle style boutique in her hometown of Nashville back in 2015. A second store opened in Dallas in 2016, and in May 2017, the Summit became the home of the third location.

Draper James has been featured in Vanity Fair and Coveteur among others in the fashion industry, and the store’s signature “totes y’all” bag was seen in the Gilmore Girls Revival.

The women’s clothing store is beyond the budget of the average college student, but the store offers 10 percent off to students. Complimentary sweet tea is given to every customer who walks in, paying or not, so it is worth a window-shop.

Blaze Pizza

This California-based chain restaurant offers “fast-fire’d” custom pizzas with health-conscious and allergy mindful ingredient options. Signature recipes are featured in addition to the build your own option. Fresh dough made from scratch with artisanal ingredients on the assembly line. The menu also includes a variety of salads, drinks and desserts.

Created and oven-baked as you order, you can consume this pizza without breaking your budget or your diet, and it is the perfect place for those who have food allergies or dietary restrictions.

We recommend:
Pizza: The Green Stripe: pesto drizzle over grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, chopped garlic, mozzarella and arugula.
Drink: Mango Agua FrescaMarine Layer
This San Fransisco-based store is known for their extremely soft clothes and surfer vibes. Their fabrics are made from recycled beechwood pulp and are made ethically and sustainably. Although expensive, Marine Layer has a good sale section and a 10 percent student discount that can be used on sale items.Whole Foods Market

The Whole Foods moved from its former location to the Summit and now offers buffets of prepared fresh food, from Asian stirfrys to grilled chicken and roasted potatoes. Our favorites were the wide selection of health drinks, from kombucha to sparkling kefir water, and the many flavors of granola for sale by the pound.