A revival update: ‘How Great is Our God’

I have never seen Hughes this packed. 

Very few seats remain empty, but people crowd the walls, the floor and the balcony. It’s been almost 60 hours since a pure Holy Spirit revival broke out. Testimonies are ongoing; spoken, typed out and declared out of the darkness and into the light. 

Asbury students Sarah Yost and Mary Hostetter have spent their afternoon compiling a list that keeps growing. 

One anonymous participant in the revival revealed that six months ago, they left an abusive relationship that left deep feelings of hurt. However, Thursday night, a pastor approached them with a word from the Lord. 

“Someone broke her heart,” God told the pastor. “Someone left her feeling broken and worthless. But I have a plan to repair her broken heart. I want to be like a father to her and have a deep relationship with her. I will heal her in unimaginable ways and use her in unimaginable ways.”

Freshman Matthew Dunham lives with ADHD and said he “has not had a clear mind” his entire life. Since stepping into Hughes around 2 p.m. on Wednesday, he said the only thoughts filling his head are about how good God is. 

“I never want to leave,” he said. 

Other students reported that they never thought they would experience anything like this. Junior Rachel Call, who has been a Christian her entire life, said she wanted to know God more. On Wednesday, He told her to stay and worship. 

“I didn’t know revival was possible for me,” she said. “God has overwhelmed me with His Spirit and shown me who He is and His love for me. God has revealed so much of Himself to me in such a short amount of time, and I am so grateful.” 

Tonight, with hundreds of people inside this chapel, Asbury President Dr. Kevin Brown reminded everyone of John 17, a passage that can act as a call for unity. 

“So when people see us, they see one accord,” Brown said. “For this generation, for the church, for the world, for the edification of our neighbor, and for the glory of God. This is not a Hughes Auditorium thing. This is not an Asbury thing. This is a kingdom thing.”

He recalled how he was baffled on Wednesday when he saw junior Jessie Thompson running toward Hughes. The image still hasn’t left him, and he made it a prayer for everyone attending the revival. 

“I pray we wouldn’t hesitate,” he said. “I pray that we would run.”

Run toward belief. Run towards Jesus, the One who saves. The One who acts as a friend when we experience loneliness. 

This was the case for Asbury freshman Bobilyn Carr, who felt like she “didn’t have a community.” When revival began, God stirred her heart. 

“God began a great work in me,” she said. “He has given me a peace I don’t understand, and He has shown me that I am loved, seen and known by Him.”

All in attendance are singing and testifying about how good God is, and the invitation is open to anyone and everyone who needs to experience it for themselves. 

A bunch of students on Wednesday afternoon burst into classrooms, excitement in their eyes and joy in their hearts for God. 

“Just come and see,” junior Zeke Atha said. “Even if it’s for five minutes. Come and see.”