COP27 summit brings attention to global greenhouse gas issues

The 27th gathering of the Conference of Parties (COP27) caused quite a stir among world leaders, environmental scientists and global warming activists as many traveled to Egypt toward the end of November. 

The international forum was packed with men and women from all around the world who were prepared to debate global warming issues and brainstorm ways to combat climate change. 

According to CNN, the COP27 conference created the space for negotiators to work together in designing a “loss and damage fund” that would aid vulnerable countries with climate-related disasters. Many of those involved agreed that greenhouse gas emissions would need to be cut in half during the next seven years in order to avert weather catastrophes. 

However, there are still “too many parties who are not ready to make more progress today in the fight against the climate crisis,” European Union climate chief Frans Timmermans told the Washington Post after hours of negotiations. 

Timmermans felt that the COP27 summit was helpful in addressing the ways that climate change has wreaked havoc but was “not enough of a step forward for our people and planet” when it comes to emission-cutting solutions. 

Many nations are still hesitant when it comes to creating climate plans because they are unsure if wealthier countries should be supporting the poorer countries during this endeavor. 

According to AP News, world leaders are moving slowly in an attempt to find balance and are struggling to figure out how to compromise. In the past, countries like the US have spearheaded greenhouse gas issues thanks to their affluence and propensity to produce lots of carbon. Smaller nations usually experience the negative consequences of weather-related disasters brought about by climate change. 

Opposing opinions were bounced back and forth as some countries argued for swift, global action, while others petitioned for time and funds to deal with the problems caused by industrial capitals. Some of the UN members who were present attempted to address a proposal that was created to phase out all fossil fuels. 

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock expressed her frustration according to CNN, stating that “it is more than frustrating to see overdue steps on mitigation and the phase-out of fossil energies being stonewalled by a number of large emitters and oil producers.” 

Though many diplomats and activists at the summit are thankful that funding has been secured for countries in need, there are still many decisions to be made. Rapid climate action will always be an uphill battle, claims one CNN article, especially when hundreds of nations are buried deep in the “current energy system.”