Spill the Tea

The phrase “come spill the tea” has come to mean something along the lines of come “tell us how this thing really is” in colloquial terms. However, an Asbury event that took place on Feb. 24 put a new twist on this phrase by applying it to conversation on race rather than the trivial gossip the phrase usually connotes.  

“Spill the Tea came out of a need to have conversation around race,” said Keren Keener, an Asbury sophomore who helped organize the event. 

Asbury’s Student Intercultural Programs board (SIP) held the second iteration of an event series that has grown popular with the student body. The events focus on a variety of recent conversation topics relevant to race in America. They facilitate group discussion between attendees on these hot-button issues. Before the event attendees could pick up a glass of bubble tea, an additional branding signature of the series.

Keener, an SIP board member, spoke into her experience with leading group discussions during these events. 

“This is a safe place for people to talk and for people to be open,” said Keener. “[One] where you can say you don’t know certain things.” 

The most recent event incorporated an educational presentation at the beginning, a digital Kahoot group game and discussion in small groups led by leaders from the intercultural department. 

Keener also spoke into why she sees these events as important to Asbury students. 

“The first step is showing up,” said Keener. “If this is an issue that you care about or an issue that has touched your heart, showing up and letting people know you may not know all the answers but I’m here.” 

It has also become apparent that these events have built a type of community among the people who continue to participate. Attendees say these connections have helped them identify other students who share their passion for these issues. Keener reflected on what goes through her mind when she interacts with people at these events. 

“Okay this person took the time out of their day to come here, they at least care about this.” said Keener. “This is someone that if I ever wanted to talk about this to them I could.” 

The intent behind the conversation does not come from a secular perspective according to organizers. 

“I like to believe there is an important role that comes in being an ally that does just play into the world that we are in but into the Christian world as well,” said Keener. “God calls us to be amongst the people that are hurting, be amongst the people who need our help.”