Kentucky COVID-19 vaccine rollout plan

The FDA gave the green light to Pfizer and Moderna to begin the distribution of vaccines across the nation. Each state received a limited amount of vaccines to administer to its citizens. 

Team Kentucky, the COVID-19 task force under Governor Andy Beshear, has laid out a four-step plan to administer the vaccine to residents throughout the state. 

Phase 1 is in three-parts: Phase 1a will administer the vaccine to Kentucky residents who: live in long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities and to healthcare workers who choose to be vaccinated. Phase 1b includes anyone age 70 or older, first responders, and any K-12 school personnel. Phase 1c includes anyone age 60 or older, anyone age 16 or older labeled by the CDC as high risk with C19 risk conditions, and  all essential workers. 

Phase 2 of the Kentucky COVID-19 vaccine plan will allow anyone age 40 or older. Phase 3 allows anyone who is age 16 or older to receive the vaccine. Phase 4 will allow children under the age of 16, if the vaccine is approved for this age group.

Kentucky is still in Phase 1a of the four-part rollout plan which began on Jan. 5, 2021. Kentucky received 226,175 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. 213,567 Kentucky residents have received their first dose of the vaccine. Kentucky has administered 177,197 doses of the vaccine state wide and 36,370 to residents in long-term care facilities.

The CDC states that individuals who receive the vaccine will be administered the vaccine through a two-dose process. If you are receiving the vaccines, the CDC also states the Pfizer vaccine and Moderna vaccine “are not interchangeable.”
For more information regarding COVID-19 in the state of Kentucky, you can visit https://govstatus.egov.com/kycovid19 for the most current news and guidelines for the COVID-19 pandemic.