Photo by Paul Sollenberger

Hiccup jumps on reno train, new merch and menu

With Christmas break long gone and spring classes getting into full swing, students are relying on the Hiccup for their daily fix of caffeine. The new semester has brought some new changes to the on-campus coffee shop. As part of the ongoing renovation of the entire student center, the Hiccup has been fitted with multiple cosmetic upgrades, including new color-changing LED light menus and a new “pay-it-forward” board.

“Most of this change is inspired by the changes happening around us,” said junior Hunter Grady, Hiccup manager. “No more old, dated vinyl and tattered cork boards. It doesn’t fit the space or our style as we evolve. We want to provide an atmosphere that cultivates creativity and community.”

Another new, creative addition to the Hiccup is the option of ordering off of the “Barista’s Choice” menu. Due to the amount of coffee that baristas produce each and every day, experimentation with drinks and flavors is inevitable; this list of options showcases unique drinks that have been created by the Hiccup’s very own baristas.

Senior barista Yun Li Tan said her favorite concoction is the cold brew Oreo milkshake.

“It’s the perfect mix of the mellow fragrance of coffee and the sweetness of cookies and cream,” she said.

As the drinks and atmosphere evolve, so does the Hiccup’s merchandise. Junior barista Gabby Long has created brand new t-shirt designs and stickers for the shop. The models are based on her chalkboard drawings that students may have noticed decorating the Hiccup over the past semester.

“Every time I would draw something new, people would tell me to make merch out of it,” Long said. “It was nice drawing the designs knowing that people already liked them. It’s like the students who frequent the Hiccup had a say in the designs.”

While new menus and merch have popped up this semester, one thing is sure to stay the same: The sense of community that is fostered at the Hiccup.

“The Hiccup is the heart of campus. … As baristas, we get to meet basically everyone at Asbury and make them feel welcome here,” said junior Becca King, Hiccup manager. “It is the place where students do homework, have conversations or just hang out with friends. When I don’t know what else to do, I find myself here. The Hiccup helps people connect unlike any other place on campus.”

New Valentine’s Day drinks will be available at the Hiccup soon. Look up @asburyhiccup on Instagram for all Hiccup-related news and updates.