Handshake and LinkedIn: Comparing job search sites

Regardless of major, every student is looking for the same thing — a job. Finding the right job can be very difficult, but luckily there are resources that make this process easier. Two websites seem to stand above the rest in this area: LinkedIn and its lesser-known counterpart, Handshake. The sites are similar in that they both connect job applicants to potential employers, but they offer different advantages.

LinkedIn

LinkedIn is a social media platform which allows people to connect with others in their industry. The site describes itself as “an all-encompassing platform for those that need to constantly and consistently find, connect with, and manage the right talent.” 

Each LinkedIn user creates a profile where their personal information, education history and work experience is displayed. The information on a user’s profile allows them to find other people with similar experiences and interests. Networking with others in the field opens employees to a variety of opportunities. 

LinkedIn also has a job search portal where employees can research job and internship openings. Applying for jobs from LinkedIn is fairly simple — some companies allow applicants to apply using their profile, while others direct applications to employers’ websites. 

Overall, LinkedIn’s biggest advantage is being able to network with people in your industry as a way to find job and mentorship opportunities.

Handshake

According to their website, Handshake is geared specifically towards students and recent graduates. The platform partners directly with universities, which allows users to create a profile using their official university email address. Handshake is also especially appealing to students because it presents them with a list of career fairs in their area and online workshops. 

Unlike LinkedIn, Handshake does not operate like a social media platform. Both sites allow the user to make a profile and connect to other people, but it is done a little differently. On LinkedIn users view profiles and choose to make connections, while Handshake directly connects students to employers within their industry. 

Handshake’s biggest advantage seems to be the fact that it is created for university students. It shows users opportunities that are more exclusive to them because of their university. Also, employers using Handshake understand that they are recruiting university students so their expectations are not unreasonable. 

LinkedIn or Handshake?

Neither platform seems to be inherently better than the other. Both allow the user to set up a personal profile and connect to others in their field. Also, both platforms are free and have mobile apps.

Asbury has partnered with Handshake, so students can create their Handshake profile using their Asbury information. Since Handshake is created for university students, Handshake could be a very beneficial resource to Asbury students looking for jobs.