Asbury offers variety of Christmas events

By Hannah Stafford, News Editor

Before returning home for Christmas Break, students will have many opportunities to celebrate on campus and in Wilmore with classmates and friends. The festivities began Wednesday, Nov. 29 with a Christmas music chapel service, hosted by the Concert Band and Men’s Glee Club.

“I love [the Christmas music] at Asbury, because you just can’t have Christmas without music, and Asbury does it so well!” said junior Emily Buonocore.

This concert was followed by two other musical presentations on Thursday, Nov. 30. The first, held in the Student Center at 11 a.m., featured the Handbell Choir and Jazz Ensemble. The day was rounded off by musical offerings of the Chorale and Orchestra and literary readings by the English Department at 7:30 p.m. in Hughes Auditorium for the annual Songs of the Season Concert.

“My favorite part of the Christmas concerts is the orchestra and handbells,” junior Brooke Way said. “The orchestra, because I’m in it; and the handbells because they’re just so fun!”

Friday, Dec. 1 will present more Christmas music with a concert of Grammy-Award winner Guy Penrod.

“As we approach the beautiful Advent season, celebrating the gift of God’s Son, it is our blessed opportunity to offer a gift to Asbury’s campus and the community beyond,” Asbury President Sandra C. Gray said. “It is our great joy to offer a concert featuring the outstanding talent of Guy Penrod, and we hope guests will be inspired, encouraged and re-focused on God’s remarkable grace during this season of the ultimate gift.”

This concert, like all others, is free admission but ticketed to ensure seating. It was sold out within a few days of being announced, but students may request to be placed on a waiting list in case of cancellations.

On Saturday, Dec. 2, Wilmore will host the annual Old Fashioned Christmas on Main Street. Old Fashioned Christmas begins at 5:30 p.m. with the lighting of the Christmas tree and finishes at 8:00 p.m. with a concert of local talent at the Wilmore United Methodist Church.

“I’m a huge fan of the Old Fashioned Christmas because it’s such a fun day and ends with a wonderful concert by a great choir,” junior Jacob Johnson said. “It’s just really great to see the community come together.”