Antifa Riots in Berkeley 

By Caleb Warren, Contributing Writer

Various far-left activist groups, predominantly the extreme anarchist group known as Antifa, converged on Berkeley, Calif., on Aug. 27, in opposition to a far-right ‘No to Marxism in America’ rally. The Antifa opposition heavily outnumbered those involved in the rally. According to The Los Angeles Times, “These 100 or so militants billed themselves as a security force for progressive counter-protesters, vowing to protect them from far-right agitators.”

However, the self proclaimed “security force” soon went on the offensive, attacking peaceful demonstrators in mob fashion while outfitted in all black attire, wielding clubs and shields bearing the words ‘No Hate’ across the front. All told, “at least five individuals were attacked… [resulting] in 13 arrests on a range of charges including assault with a deadly weapon,” The Washington Post reported.

This sort of violence has appeared more frequently in recent months as a result of growing political polarization. In February, similarly armed ‘Anti Fascist’ members caused $100,000 worth of damages in the city of Berkeley when they arrived to protest a speech by notorious provocateur, Milo Yiannopoulos.

This same group was also on the scene during the Charlottesville rally that quickly dissolved into violence. There is concern that Berkeley will once again be the site of Antifa riots during the upcoming ‘Free Speech Week’ scheduled to take place Sept. 24-27.

Because of this, Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin, in an attempt to avoid more violence and instability, requested that UC Berkeley cancel the Free Speech Week planned for next month, according to Townhall.

Ben Shapiro, editor-in-chief of The Daily Wire and one of the scheduled speakers for the upcoming Free Speech Week said on his online podcast ‘The Ben Shapiro Show’: “I’m coming September 14th…. If this goes down, it’s all on you….This is an act of nonviolent resistance. We’re going there with the approval of the Berkeley administration. We have every right to be there…. I want America to see whether the police are going to do their jobs. They charged us an arm and a leg to ensure security. Let’s see if they run away and allow Antifa to have its way”

Berkeley has been an epicenter of Antifa violence in the past. During a time in America when radical, violent fringe groups are rampant, all eyes will surely be on the city in weeks to come as the public waits to see how the events will unfold.